Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an 88 Spider. It has been grinding into 2nd and 3rd, and has gotten pretty bad. I have been given 3 options by my mechanic from most expensive to cheapest:
1. Pull out and rebuild existing transmission $3500
2. Buy a re-manufactured transmission and replace existing $2900
3. Buy a used transmission and replace existing $2200

Anyone have advice on what makes the most sense? Does anyone have experience with re-manufactured vs. used tranmissions?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
#1 - the devil you know, is better than the devil you don't know. Kindaof stiff price though, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
OUCH!!! I would try Redline oil first and learn to double clutch.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
The options are very reasonable, but the prices are outrageously high... How many hours of labor is he estimating? Did you get a breakdown of hours and parts? I'm also wondering if your mechanic is experienced in doing this, and if he isn't, is he giving you a high estimate because he expects this will take him long due to his lack of experience?

In any event, I always think it is best to rebuild your own transmission, or send it in as a core when you purchase another one, from a reputable Alfa outfit. You could call Performatek, as they do this type of work. (Your transmission will be better than new. Andy really knows what he's doing.) Get an idea of the cost of a rebuild by them. Then ask your mechanic what he would charge you for removing the tranny, preparing it for shipping per Performatek's instructions, shipping it to them, and installing the refurbished one when it comes back from the reputable outfit. I just can't see the total bill being $3500, if you go with this approach. (I can't second guess your mechanic's rates, or his clientèle, but I would suspect that if I were doing this with my mechanics my total bill would not come close to $2000, and it could be as low as $1500. This is including all expenses, shipping & taxes. If any BB member feels that my $$ perception is off, please chime in.) I would not consider a used transmission.

Best regards,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My "mechanic" is Ferrari of Denver, the only "authorized" Alfa shop in the area as far as I know. If anyone out there knows another place in Denver Colorado area, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:rolleyes:No wonder the price. No such thing as an Authorized Alfa shop - at least, no now.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I own an 88 Spider. It has been grinding into 2nd and 3rd, and has gotten pretty bad. I have been given 3 options by my mechanic from most expensive to cheapest:
1. Pull out and rebuild existing transmission $3500
2. Buy a re-manufactured transmission and replace existing $2900
3. Buy a used transmission and replace existing $2200

Anyone have advice on what makes the most sense? Does anyone have experience with re-manufactured vs. used tranmissions?

Thanks
I pulled my transmission out in 2 hours and 50 minutes flat. That was with jack stands and hand tools too. If you can pull it, rebuild it yourself-save yourself-say $2,000.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:(Sorry Ferrari shop guys - cancel Cyber Monday orders placed for new gold chains.:p

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
Actually the "replace with a re-manufactured tranny" option doesn't sound too bad considering a re-man'd unit from IAP is $2,200 and I would guess they're planning to put a clutch, etc. in while they have the tranny out. Dunno why the rebuild would be so expensive and have no idea what a used tranny costs so I can't comment on that.

Dropping the tranny is a simpler job than you would think and you could send it out to get rebuilt for less that $1000. I think rebuilding it yourself would be a big ask, however.

I only had my car in to Ferrari of Denver once and I had a good experience. They charge a charitable Alfa rate that is right in line with other shops and I'm certain well below the Ferrari, Maserati and Bentley rates! Read about my experience (starting with my stupid nit-picks) here:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/anything-about-alfa-romeos-alfabb-com/22493-am-i-expecting-too-much-my-mechanic.html

And some other shops in the Denver metro area here:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/anything-about-alfa-romeos-alfabb-com/10423-colorado-alfisti-where-take-my-car.html

Dunno if Dale (can't remember her new name......) is back in business or not....

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Dropping the tranny is a simpler job than you would think and you could send it out to get rebuilt for less that $1000. I think rebuilding it yourself would be a big ask, however.
I only charged $150 for labor.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Well.......most pro mechanics don't work for $25/hour!
It'd be more like $15/hour if all the dogrings need to be polished back up...Then I wonder why I'm not rich:( Have you not experienced the thrill of having a friend call you and tell you they can't turn the key in their car, when they start talking about calling AAA out to have them tow it to some shop, you simply say "Try turning the steering wheel a little bit in both directions" and right after you say that, you hear the car come to life. It feels good to help when you can, it always does. What is hard for you or others may not be for some one else, so why charge an arm and a leg for it-Ooops, forgot-mortgage payment, poverty...Errr, I already have a full time job, mortgage is paid, what does it matter to me.

·
Registered
612 Posts
well, IF I would have somebody do it for me, than I`ll choose option #2, if I could keep my old tranny (because sometimes you have to send your old one back as a core) than keep and rebuild your old one + learn how to do it at the process so next time it will cost you only labor...

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
well, IF I would have somebody do it for me, than I`ll choose option #2, if I could keep my old tranny (because sometimes you have to send your old one back as a core) than keep and rebuild your old one + learn how to do it at the process so next time it will cost you only labor...
And imagine how many 2 beers you could buy with that money saved!:D

·
Registered
612 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
LOLOLOL!! DD, you can pull the gearbox in less than 3 hrs?? Man, you should make a DYI video and sell them here. Would take me a day or so, cuz you have to unbolt the bell housing, a BIG job. What are you, superalfaman??

1 - 20 of 47 Posts