Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a batch of straight cut gear sets and layshafts produced for my ex-works Alfetta grp2 race car and I was wondering if there arte any other Alfetta/GTV6/75 racers out there who would like a reasonably priced set of Autodelta straight cut gears, The more I can get done the cheaper the price!
I am having them made to fit a 75 twin spark transaxle as these have an LSD and a better gear linkage.
Any takers? I will post ratios when I get home.
I am also looking at big brake upgrades and other alfetta performance parts including Ergal torsion bar adjusters, homologated suspension mods etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the uk but its not a problem to ship anywhere. I have contacts for a lot of ex-works parts in europe and i have drawings and parts to copy from for all those really nice bits and bobs. Even 16V alfetta heads if anyone is really serious.

·
Richard Jemison
7,781 Posts
Gears,

But what is cost for gears, delivery time and shipping?
What material is shafts made from?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Good day,

Doesn’t Collotie make them anymore, I know that they still make the 105 straight cut gears.

Han

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To answer both questions....
I am looking at producing the gear sets due to the lack of any others available.
colotti produce to order and use local companies (not colotti of old) this means one off sets at the cost of 6500 euros.
this is far too much for what should cost around £2500 or less depending on numbers.
They will be produced by a well respected british motor sport gearbox manufacturer, so the materials will be off the highest quality and the pitch would be of a well proven modern setting for greater transmission and wear rates.
I am just testing the water to see if I can generate an order list so that the price can come down as much as possable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm interested based on price, and locating my spare 75 transaxle. Just to be certain, the transaxle out of a US model 75-Milano Platinum would work, right?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Alfetta: I could be interested, depending the price you will arrive at. A good procedure would be to make an initial set and test it for function. Then go to a small production batch when confirmed for function. A guy here bought a Colotti set, but had more trouble than with the original set, so straight cut gears are not always problem solvers.

About additonal items: you dont have the drawings for bellhousing and flywheel for the Alfetta GTV8 ? These were made by Autodelta and a friend bought a set but I don´t have the necessary data to make a copy. Any knowledge?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I said before to make an initial set would cost around 6500 thus making it not viable for me, colotti boxes are not colotti anymore and hence are questionable.
I am copying an existing ex-autodelta box because this is the set that should be in my ex-works car. I will be using a well known gearbox manufacturer, with the knowleadge of many years of racing behind them, so I have no doubts on the quality or durability.
I am not trying to solve any gearbox problems, just maintain my car in a cost affective manor. The end result being to help other Alfetta enthusiasts to maintain or recreate alfetta race and performance cars.
There are special bell housings cast for some of the cars. I can ask if those drawings are still around or if there is one available. I believe they just have some extra ribbing to re-enforce the bearing end of the housing. There are some casts done in england during the eighties for the dealer team and terry drury racing based on the steel unit that was on the ex-luigi/andy rouse/TDR car, but these were shrink cast and didnt firt too well. the easiest solution is to strengthen the housing using a steel cage that exdtends from the clutch housing bolts to the bearing and is bonded to the housing using an epoxy bonding paste. I am having a batch done later in the year if your interested.(these are essential for racing if want to avoid a flyweel through the floor). There are some 75/milano turbo deisel housings that are stronger with extra ribs if you can locate one (I never have) PM me if you are serious about getting a correct auto delta part as these are not cheap and I dont like to mess the guys around. anything is possable!r
I think the milano box in the usa is the same as the 75, please corect me if ther are bearing size differrences.

·
Richard Jemison
7,781 Posts
Racing Transaxles

I think you are going to find a lonely adventure here....:rolleyes:

Most serious racers here in the US (and elsewhere) are using my close ratio transaxles which completely assembled with properly set up 4 disk LSD , 5,5 inch RJR clutches are about half your cost.

There is also the difference in gear ratios needed to run at the much faster tracks in the USA compared to those European tracks you use.

Several links to such here on the BB as well as the Alfaracing list (yahoo)

see post 77 at:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1965-1974/10472-gearbox-lightening.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well thats very interesting! I cannot locate (nor can my friends) any straight tooth gear sets for Transaxles in europe other than colotti bur as I you know they are far too expensive. so I am very interested in hearing about yours.
please PM me with details and prices.
Please forgive my ignorance but I have never heard of your company? so it would be great to find out more.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi

I am answering for my friend, Morten Ruud, with a GTV6 racecar (GTA3,2 engine). He wants two of these gearsets for this and another 3 litre racecar.

Please contact him directly on [email protected]

Regards
Stian S, Norway

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks stian! I will do so.
The ratios are being sorted out over the weekend as we have a couple of boxes stripped to inspect. I am looking into clutch housing strengthening, Cages are the simplest but we may cast some with extra thickness and webbing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ive looked at Bacci but the ratios are not quite as per the spec I am after and they are helical cut. cost is around 2800 euros

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I have a shaft, seems to be the main shaft that connects to the clutch that is Autodelta with streight cut teeth. Nice conversation piece. I found it near a dumpster in Florida at a warehouse where an Alfa Racer used to have his shop. I am willing to part with it if it helps anyone.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have a shaft, seems to be the main shaft that connects to the clutch that is Autodelta with streight cut teeth. Nice conversation piece. I found it near a dumpster in Florida at a warehouse where an Alfa Racer used to have his shop. I am willing to part with it if it helps anyone.
Hi!
Also a picture would help a lot.
Thanks in advance!!

Regards.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts