Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am in the process of rebuilding the transaxle on my GTV6 after my reverse gear decided to do a little self machining. I have another transaxle that I have been mixing and matching. The shimming washer (that places the pinion properly) on mine seems to have split. I don't think that they were two pieces originally. Looks like the chrome surface came off in a handy ring. Well my extra tranaxle has a different size shim so I can't just swap it over. Does anyone have a source for these? What's the tolerance on these shims (the shop manual is less than clear..)?

Thanks,
DOM!

·
Richard Jemison
7,772 Posts
Shims

There is usually two. One thicker and a thin one to set it correctly. It will have to be replaced correctly or expect noise.
bearing supply houses will be a good start.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Transaxle shim

Dom,

That shim sets the pinion depth. The way I read the manual you have .02 mm tolerance which is about .0008" Not a whole lot. It takes some special tools to measure this. I found all this info in the Alfetta Clutch, Gearbox and Differential manual. If your shim is in good shape you could just measure it and call APE as I know that they have a selection of shims from transaxles that they have taken apart.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Richard- both of the tranaxles I have had only one to set the pinion placement. Except my original transaxle had the one that looked split. I believe mine had never been opened before (I got it with 25K and it now has 50K)..

Wes- I read the manual a bunch of times and was not sure. I don't have stand tall enough to measure the gear stack so I want to use the same shim. I will call APE so thanks for the tip!

I should take pics for show and tell..

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shim pics

OK, I dug the beasts up out of my box of parts.. I forgot about the spalling being so bad on the original shim. The two on the left are the ones out of my box. Richard, you may have been right about the two seperate ones.. They are pretty beat up. I measured them late last night but didn't write the dimensions down. The two add up to about 0.063" or 0.064" and the single one was 0.061" (need to double check..) Need to check my machine design books and see if that is still in the sweet spot of the involute.

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,772 Posts
Shims

The damage is due to loosening of the assembly . Most likely inadequate torque securing the pinion/mainshaft assembly when built. I suggest when you measure to add about .002 to your shim thickness. That should get you about where it should be, and allow for wear in the R&P/Stack.
Rj

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice Richard! I will measure and hopefully APE will have the shim. I don't really remember that nut being particularly easy to loosen but it makes sense. Only other thing may have been the bits of reverse gear that was floating around. All the other gears look to be in good shape. The syncros on the other hand...

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so I am averaging 0.061" on the two shims out of my box. The Shim that came out of the other box is about 0.063-0.064" so I am moving forward with that shim..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts