Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I noticed a bit of gear oil on my garage floor. It is coming out of the weep hole in the clutch bell housing which makes me think it is from the transaxle input seal. It is not a big leak, being a few drips overnight, and I would just as soon ignore it, put a drip pan under the car and check the level every few months. My concern, though, is that I could end up oiling my nearly new clutch plates. Pulling the unit out and replacing the seal is beyond my capability and my appetite for work and the only shop I'd trust to do it is 200 miles away and a great PITA to get to.
What say ye. Am I safe to just ignore it, and replace the gear oil as needed?

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
I just top mine off every other oil change. GiGi leaks as well, but until I got to change the clutch, which will probably be never. I'm gonna do what I suggested, cause it ain't worth it to remove all that Stuff to replace a $5.00 oil seal. 2 squirts of gear oil your all set! 17mm bolt on the Right side of the gear box. The car is 30 years old, put a piece of cardboard under the car so you don't stain your garage. It's no where near the clutch plate. Been driving it this way for 4 years now and it doesn't harm or effect the performance of clutch.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Part of Alfa ownership. Alfa stands for Always Leaking Fluids Allover. I keep the cardboard from my cases of AGIP oil and break them down and stick them under the car. Recycling at it's best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts