Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a guy had a 57k mile wrecked alfetta and his main ride was a 79 with plenty of miles and 2nd gear synchro wear, would there be any barriers to swapping transaxles?
Also, what other parts should he pull from the parts car before making more space in his shop?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
pics for attention...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Even if the cars were early vs late (not clear from your post) the transaxles should interchange no problem. There were some internal differences but nothing of major consequence.

I'd be tempted to pull the whole DeDion from the lower mile car and swap that in complete...

If you have early vs late Alfetta, you may need to change flange on the clutch input shaft to accommodate late style propshaft Giubo.

·
Premium Member
7,259 Posts
If a guy had a 57k mile wrecked alfetta and his main ride was a 79 with plenty of miles and 2nd gear synchro wear, would there be any barriers to swapping transaxles?
Also, what other parts should he pull from the parts car before making more space in his shop?
View attachment 1740890 pics for attention...
if you end up parting out the early car, please let me know -- there are some parts I sure could use!
thanks, bob

·
Registered
940 Posts
The first 1.8 alfetta gearsets were different to the 2.0 cars, the early gearsets had a different amount of teeth per gear they were the same ratio (diameter of the cog) but with less teeth. bearings of shafts and diff were the same. the V6 transaxles have larger diameter shaft and diff bearings.

·
Richard Jemison
8,744 Posts
Depending on year you might have to retain yout input flange to mate with your driveshaft. There was 3 different rear guibo and flanges in Alfetta transaxles. Rest is not worth thinking about.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,541 Posts
Both my wife and I preferred the earlier gearsets of our 75 Alfetta sedan over the later 78 swdan. The 75 sedan just seemed sportier in shifting and fun driving. Just our impression.

Reactions: TomSperow
1 - 7 of 7 Posts