Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the tranny apart and inspecting the stack. Some dog rings are o obviously beyond keeping but how much wear is acceptable, if any? The synchros show signs of shiny spots so I assume replace all of them. What else should I be looking at? The shaft bearings look clean and work smoothly. Would pics of the stack help? Any input from "those who know" would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
At this point in time, replace all the synchro's and any dog gears that have rounded points. They should be sharp. Compare to 5th gear dog gear to get an idea of what is acceptable or not. Change any synchro sliders as they could have rounded teeth as well. Check the tail end of the output shaft to see if there is any wear. Any wear on the main shaft where the gears run?

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the tips, Christopher! As I look at different suppliers it is quite easy to drop 1500 bucks in parts for a rebuild... Whew! Although I like doing my own work and learning in the process it almost seems more cost effective to just buy a rebuilt tranny. I have not taken any gears etc. off the shaft yet I should get to that later this week. I have been reading up on the process and getting a lot from Vin's thread! Thanks again, I will post more as I continue...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Usually the parts from two used (tired) gearboxes are more than adequate to build one good box. The synchronizer parts and dog gears from fourth and fifth gears are usually in good shape so it is a matter of swapping parts around. The advice I received from Richard Jemison is to avoid aftermarket synchronizer parts and I have followed that advice, successfully, in the two boxes I have rebuilt. I replaced the output shaft and and fifth gear roller bearings but other bearings were fine so I reused them. I defer to those with more experience rebuilding gearboxes but I doubt you will need to spend anywhere near $1500.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
You can drop $1500 into a gearbox, no question about that. However, some parts are not easy to find or if you do be prepared to pay. I have 4 on the floor here, and one of them was more expensive than the other 3 due to the fact that the PO trashed the 1st, 2nd and 3rd dog rings, sliders and synchros. At that point, I was making 3 point shots into the trash can and figuring that there would be some of my spares going in the rebuild.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
No argument that a lot of money can be spent, especially if working on a trashed box. How often is it required though? Maybe more often than I am aware of. This is just arm chair guessing though. Get the box in question apart and see what it needs. However, I would avoid a shotgun parts replacement approach.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks or all the input and advice, I certainly want to make sure I replace everything that needs it, THE FIRST TIME! I personally am gentle with trannys and have become quite used to the double clutching and finesse my current trans needs but it would be nice to have one that works smoothly.
Every dog gear butt one (5th) if you run your fingernail across the tooth your can feel a burr at the end. The sychro rings are shiny in spots so I am sure I should replace those, they are pretty cheap. Here are a few pics, some are a bit blurry but maybe they may speak to those who know more of what they are looking at....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Until you get the gears off the shaft you will have a better idea of how bad the dog gears are. One of those picutres shows a dog gear with what appears to be broken tip. Replace all the synchros, 4th roller, 5th roller. etc.
If the dog gears are bad, you can almost assume that the sliders are toast.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I will get to that later in the week. I was considering just buying a rebuilt one and " learning" on this one but it seems with some help from the board I can get this accomplished....

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up buying a rebuilt one. At this point I wish I had just done the job myself.

·
Richard Jemison
7,604 Posts
I do, but a strong suggestion to anyone thinking of re-building a trans or transaxle is DO NOT BUY SYNCRO PARTS FROM ANY AFTERMARKET SUPPLIER. Regardless of descriptions they are all out of spec.

Larry at Alfa Parts exchange can send you good factory replacement pieces.

·
Registered
what part?
9,895 Posts
this is why i took out the oem zf ( alfa ) tranny and installed a w/c t5 tranny, better shifting.. you can get replacement parts that dont cost $$$$$.. and run in auto tranny fuild

1 - 15 of 15 Posts