Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Wondering if anyone has replace their fill & drain plugs for the transmission & diff? Centerline, Alfaholics, and Classic all have variously named filler and/or drain plugs for the transmission but nothing specific for the diff.

Can the same trans. drain plug be used as the transmission fill plug AND the diff. fill & drain?

Thanks!

Joel

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
trans and diff fill plugs are the same thread 22x1.5mm (brass plugs, allen wrench, no magnet)

I once read the drain was 22x1.75mm thread pitch...? (but reading and knowing are 2 different things, so best wait for someone else to chime in!...(brass plugs, magnet to catch metal filings, normal hex socket)

nb. whenever changing trans or diff fluid, always loosen filler first (you'll know why when the diff/tranny is empty and the filler plug is stuck solid;))

·
Registered
750 Posts
easy way to fill the diff. take out the spare tire, you will see two rubber plugs, remove the one close to the rear axle. get a vinel tube about 3 feet long, insert one side into the hole in the spare tire well remove filler plug. now get thte oil nice a warm in some hot water for 30 mins..this will make it flow better. put the nipple in the vinel tube, tip upside down, punch a small hole in the base of the oil bottle. and it will just flow in.. a heck of a lot easier than pumping cold 80/120 weight oil. refit filler plug

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I bought one of these Gear Oil and Fluid Pump which made filling the tranny and diff super easy. I replaced the vinyl tube with a 4' version from ACE so I could pump the new fluid while standing on the side of the car instead of underneath it. Makes it incredibly easy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all this great info on the process. I'm really looking specifically at replacing both my fill & drain plugs for the trans and diff. Are these all the same part? Classic Alfa seems to indicate the diff. and trans drain plugs are the same. Nothing on the fill plugs though...

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Classic Alfa seems to indicate the diff. and trans drain plugs are the same. Nothing on the fill plugs though...
actually
the fill plugs are listed on Classic alfa (same for trans and diff. as said above)
I don't see the trans/diff drain plugs on their site.

myAlfagroup in Germany list both
tranny diff plugs.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes! This is what I needed, thanks so much! I didn't know about this outfit, great callouts and descriptions.

Are they a good supplier?

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Always been good with me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts