1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
People,

Ran across this from our buddy Elio:

Both IAP and Centerline sell and recommend the Redline 75W90NS
If you go to Redline's website you will see that the NS is specially formulated to provide the drag or slip required to in effect "drag" the synchros to speed. The MT (not MLT)may work, but the recommended Redline product for the Alfa synchros is the "NS". Also I believethat the Redline MT-90 gear oil is API GL1/GL4. Your Alfa requires API GL5 spec, the 75W90NS is API GL5 spec.
Whatever u use make sure it is GL5.
TTFN Elio
BTW, 75W90NS is NOT recommended for your Alfa's LSD "straight up" you will have to add friction modifiers. I use the NS in the trans and shell spirax in the diff.

So, if our spec is GL-5, GL5 contains sulfur, which has been blamed for generating low level sulfuric acid, which eats our brass parts. I found a post saying our parts have Molybdenum and not brass (copper). Most of our fellow members say copper, but other posts say moly. Much confusion, I understand, I feel we should maybe explore it, if it hasnt been done before (I have a feeling it has, just havnt found posts yet)......

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,932 Posts
There's no brass in the Spider transmission. GL5 is the Alfa spec and won't damage anything. Been discussed in the past.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, Gub. I feel better now. hey guys (shouting, hand cupped next to mouth like megaphone), isnt this good news? I was considering draining my gl5 oil.......

EDit: waaaait a minute, arent the forks brass??? They seemed yellowish to me when I had it apart?? They did have slight wear, but didnt want to buy new $250 ones. They seemed to work OK.....its been 2-3 yrs now.....

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
All, I just changed the trans and diff fluids, with RedLine spec (as mentioned above) and WOW what a difference in shifting and driving.

I had a lot of grinding of the syncros from 1st to 2nd that has all but disappeared, assuming I double clutch correctly. The trans oil I drained was a terrible sewer green color.....could not have been good.

Had a slight hesitation on the diff when existing from 1st to 2nd as well...100% corrected.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts