Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 74 GTVs gear box is leaking tranny fluid, not excessive I noticed a few drops on the garage floor yesterday morning.

When the car is warmed up it shifts nicely seldom do I get any grinding of gears while up shifting. When I down shift usually going from 4th to 3rd I double clutch the method I use is clutch, go from 4th to neutral release clutch blip throttle clutch then go to third. I am getting the dreaded grinding noise. When I go 3rd to 2nd the same.

Up shifting is no problem what so ever. smooth transition after warm up.

I want a good tranny mechanic to check out the situation, problem is I do not know of one. I am hesitant about taking the car to my locla tranny shop ie: Amoco. No specific reason, just would like someone who has knowledge on Alfas.

So can any one out there recommend a good alfa tranny mechanic.

I live in Middletown, NY about 60 miles northeast of the big apple, off route 17.

Thanks for any leads.

·
Premium Member
13,476 Posts
The seals are easy to replace. The front one is in the bellhousing and the rear one is in the tailhousing. You do not have to go into the main section of the gearbox to replace either of them. Try to see if the leak is at the front or the rear.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
2 x 88 Verde's

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Instead of the blip, try shifting from 4th to 3rd by maintaining a steady speed in 4th, then while keeping your foot in the same position on the gas pedal, clutch, shift into neutral, clutch and shift into 3rd. The important part is to keep the gas pedal in the same position throughout the 4-3 down shift. Going from 3rd to 2nd you'll need to increase the RPM's a bit more...same from 2nd to 1st. The "blip" doesn't keep the revs up, which is what you need on down shifts. Good luck!

My 74 GTVs gear box is leaking tranny fluid, not excessive I noticed a few drops on the garage floor yesterday morning.

When the car is warmed up it shifts nicely seldom do I get any grinding of gears while up shifting. When I down shift usually going from 4th to 3rd I double clutch the method I use is clutch, go from 4th to neutral release clutch blip throttle clutch then go to third. I am getting the dreaded grinding noise. When I go 3rd to 2nd the same.

Up shifting is no problem what so ever. smooth transition after warm up.

I want a good tranny mechanic to check out the situation, problem is I do not know of one. I am hesitant about taking the car to my locla tranny shop ie: Amoco. No specific reason, just would like someone who has knowledge on Alfas.

I live in Middletown, NY about 60 miles northeast of the big apple, off route 17.

Thanks for any leads.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't recall ever owning an Alfa that didn't leak a few drops of engine, gearbox or diff oil on occasion. Make sure you have a problem before you start trying to fix it.

After all, my garage floor would make a good advertisement for OPEC.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyones input.

I will try Pats way of downshifting come Monday.

Anyways I called Amoco yesterday and the mechanic I spoke with was at a loss on what to tell me he said he would have the owner call me back. The owner of the shop did call me later and said he would love to take a look at my car, he admitted his shop has very limited experience in Alfas but that on a personal level he would try to see if he could help me out.

Will keep you guys posted.

Tony

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Tony...a couple more things to consider:

Changing to Shell Spirax has helped my tranny (74 GTV) to shift easier. Remember to crack the filler plug before you open the drain plug just in case. The combination of Spirax and the down shift technique are likely to make a big difference. the tranny takes about 3 pints (1.5 quarts). I use one of those big metal plungers to refill...works great.

I got the Spirax from IAP.

Regarding the leaks...my Alfa mechanic, who has nearly 40 years experience with Alfa's, told me after he rebuilt my differential, tranny and engine that small leaks on Alfa's are normal. Before the rebuild I had puddles under the car. After the rebuild I get a few drops under both the diff and the tranny. It's OK...change fluids once a year and you're likely to never have a problem.

Let us know how it all works out.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Eer... a lesson on the purpose, physics and art of double declutching is in order here.

But first: Anyone that says (especially a mechanic) and Alfa must leak oil is B-S! I will admit that oil sealing technology has come a long way since 105 were new, but I have restored 105s and had them totally oil leak free for years. Use of modern gasket sealants has helped this significantly. The one place I will say that is near impossible to completely seal well is where the selector shafts protrude into the bellhousing on the pre '75 105 series cars. The "O" ring grooves here are rarely machined concentrically to the shafts (and most mechanics don't bother to replace them...). Care and attention to detail.

Now for a lesson in double declutching and downshifting for my esteemed automatic loving american friends.

1. Back off the accelerator so that there is no load on the dog clutches in the gearbox.
2. Depress the clutch (release).
3. Move the gear-lever to neutral.
4. Release the clutch.
5. Blip the accelerator: What you are attempting to do here is increase the speed of the input shaft/layshaft/mainshaft gears and engine to match the mainshaft/syncro spiders/tailshaft. Or, in other words SYNCRONISE differing speeds of one gear/dog set to the next lower gear/dog set before engaging the dog clutch. This is what the syncromesh rings are designed to/normally do.
6. Depress the clutch.
7. Move gear lever to desired (lower) gear position.
8. Release clutch.

To upshift, delete the blip.

Of course, this should be done in probably .5 - 1 second, and if done correctly, even with very worn syncros, you should be able to make a perfectly smooth downshift with no jerkiness and crunches, even with shagged syncros (you are doing the work of the syncros). I learnt to double declutch out of pure neccesity when I had my first Alfa and not enough money to repair the gearbox.

Changing poorly accelerates the wear on the syncos!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts

Thanks for any leads.
First, I will say that there is no substitute for experience, and when one performs a procedure repeatedly, one gets good at it. The first time anyone does something new, it is not going to be their best effort, and as is true with any marque, there are idiosyncrasies that one only learns from good and bad results with the specific marque. Furthermore, I find it much more cost effective to pay for proven expertise, rather than someone's learning curve.

There is an excellent Alfa mechanic in northern NJ. He worked for Alfa during the '60s in Italy, and has continued to work on them since he came to the U.S. The shop is one block away from the light rail station that gets you into Newark Penn Station, so it's easy to get anywhere from there. (They service all my Alfas, and non-Alfas, and they are knowledgeable and honest.) The shop I'm talking about is Col-Gen Motors (973-481-1143). Angelo is the owner, and Mike is his son. Mike is an excellent mechanic in his own right. You can use my name, if you decide to speak with them directly. If you prefer to speak privately, we can exchange contact info via PMs.

Just one last comment, and I don't wish to start an argument with anybody... There are a lot of un-knowledgeable comments about what is "normal" for an Alfa, and a lot "myths" are perpetuated this way. Parts wear, and when these are replaced a set-up can be returned to as good as new condition, and with proper care and maintenance, it will remain in this state for a long time. There is no reason to accept sub-standard conditions in an Alfa.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Do not. I repeat DO NOT attempt to fix all of the oil leaks on any Alfa. These things rust like crazy even with a constant oil bath!

Erik

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
winter rest

Thanks for all the replys

Both cars are put away for the cold early winter we are experiencing here in NY.

I am going to follow Enrique's suggestion and schedule my GTV with his mechanic sometime in late March.

Thanks to everyone and have a safe and fun christmas and new years or for the politically correct holiday season.

Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts