Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2 on the left are different. It is a little difficult to see in the pics. The one on the far left does not "kick up" as much on the passenger side as the one the 2nd from the left.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
The two on the left are for 101 1600 5 speed transmissions. The center one is for a 101 1300 4 speed transmission. The two on the right are for 750 4 speed transmission. I have used all three on two different cars. The two on the right were for my 1957 Spider with a tunnel case transmission. The center on is on my 101 Sprint Veloce. I put a 101 1600 5 speed transmission in my 101 Sprint Veloce, but with a 0.79 5th gear and a 4.10 rear end ratio the gearing was much too tall. I believe that 5th gear was 25 mph per 1,000 rpm and that does not work in a 101 Sprint Veloce even with a 1400 kit, ported head, high compression pistons and 101 1600 Veloce cams. I have all three transmission brackets and all three transmissions as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
I believe Kuni is right, but the 1st 1600 one I believe is 66 Duetto, the 2nd one is 1600 Giulia spider Veloce. Almost need to compare these with my own samples to be 100% sure. Kuni called them as they are.
(Excellent ID BTW!)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I used to own a 1967 Duetto Spider, and the transmission bracket is about 12 inches wide. The bracket has two holes in each side compared to three holes. I used my 105 1600 parts book to confirm design of the Duetto Spider transmission bracket.

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
Here are some pictures that may not help of crossmembers I can positively identify.
#1 top is a NOS 1960 spider Veloce (4 or 5 speed) x member spare for my now long sold 1960 Giulietta Spider Veloce race car. Bottom is the original x member in my 1965 AUSCA Spider Veloce w/GTA engine and transmission.
#2 Is a close up of the mount in both of these.
#3 Same pair upside down.
#4 Is the same NOS 1960 X member and another NOS 1600 Veloce x member I've had for years as a spare for my AUSCA Spider.
#5 is the NOS 1600 Veloce x member on edge.
#6 is on the next page.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
#6 is the same NOS 1600 Veloce x member viewed from the rear.
I have had all these in my shop for many years except for the AUSCA grey Veloce mount on my '65 that I have owned from new. Don't know if these photos help identify any of yours, and other than to match them up side by side, I'll go with Kuni's I.D. of the others.
Maybe this is useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
Gordo, that's my dehudifier! GIVE IT BACK!

FWIW.. I have the 1600 one in my 101-5 speed conversion on my 750 Veloce Spider. It has the 64 mm silent block on the tranny.. not the smaller 4 speed one which we ground into submission on another thread.. and finally, no spacers to put a bow on this.

Linen? that's oriental silk...OMG!

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
I'm safe. No more wife after 45 years practicing Market Analysis for brokerage houses and banks and 25 years of marriage. After "retirement" I became an Alfa parts restorer / builder while my wife quickly spent "our" retirement savings and "married" her divorce lawyer. #3 for her. One was plenty for me!
NOW I can put neat stuff WHEREVER I WANT!
-a GREAT feeling!-

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
I'm safe. No more wife after 45 years practicing Market Analysis for brokerage houses and banks and 25 years of marriage. After "retirement" I became an Alfa parts restorer / builder while my wife quickly spent "our" retirement savings and "married" her divorce lawyer. #3 for her. One was plenty for me!
NOW I can put neat stuff WHEREVER I WANT!
-a GREAT feeling!-
.. and you got the cars. You win.

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
That's the way I felt as well. Both cars and the house.

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
Yup, I'm the maid. My mess is MY job. Convenient.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Cross members

Not sure if anyone has covered this yet. In the original post, the two on the left are 101 1600 5 speed, but are different. The parts book lists 2 different ones. 1600 Normale has one style and Spider Veloce and Speciale have a different one. If you think about how the engines sit, you can understand the difference. The Webered engines tilt over to the exhaust side, which twists the transmission to the same side. The trans mount will need to accommodate this amount of tilt. I've never had these two types side by side, so it would be interesting to line them up and figure out which one has the Veloce tilt. If Gordon's are all from Spider Veloce, then the other style will be 101 1600 Normale.
Keith
Alfas Unlimited

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
keith, I suppose one could level the two end bolt flanges and eyeball if the boss is tilted on one v. the other. I never paid attention to this ditty when I installed mine.. maybe I got lucky 30 years ago... it wouldn't have been smarts for sure... I was flying blind but knew it was a 105 cross member to make it work. Uncle

1 - 20 of 26 Posts