Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 85 spider and want to replace the trailing arm bushings front and rear. I have gotten the trailing arms off but cant figure out how to remove the old bushings. Won't fit in the press, theres no room around the outer of the bushing for pressing . I thought maybe burn them out and cut the metal retainers with a hacksaw. Anybody have an easier solution.

Thanks

·
Registered
what part?
10,897 Posts
you can 'burn' out the rubber part, then make 2/3 hacksaw cuts to relave the pressure on it, then punch it out..i have done that 3 times..hard.....work... any machine shop will ba able to press them out..just leave the bushing intact.. makes it easyer for them..

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
You need a special tool for a press that will support the outer shell that holds the bushing while having a place for the bushing to pass through as you push it out or push the new one in. You also need a tool to push the old bushing in and out. I had one made by a local machine shop for $100 that does the job. I can do a set of trailing arm bushings in about 20 min. Anything less you are taking a chance crushing the trailing arm. Either that, or you are looking at doing what bianchi did.

·
Registered
what part?
10,897 Posts
send your trailing arms to velocedoc:):):) you really do not want to try burn and cut rouite..:eek:..hey , velocedoc... from what i hear down here.. looks like you might be getting a wee bit of snow...and have you seen my post in events? it's a nice drive..

·
Registered
268 Posts
velocedoc is completely correct.
I had press tools made too, otherwise: Hacksaw etc...

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,358 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts