Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a trailer for my '66 GTV, would a 16' box be sufficient to get the car in and strapped down? Thanks, Peter.

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
Trailer-

No, Alfas are like right at 13 feet long. I have a 20 foot enclosed trailer (amongst others) and feel it's barely enough. Every time I'm in my buddies 22 it feels like that's even better. My other advice is don't buy a cheap trailer. When I bought my Pace it was well worth it, tows like a dream, something about the angle and length of the beavertail in the front.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 72 GTV and a 20' Wells Cargo trailer. There is enough room for the car and
cabinets & tool bench in the front. I agree with Fred , don't buy cheap. I think the key to a great trailer are the axels. I would upgrade to the 5000lb axels .

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Looking to purchase a trailer for my '66 GTV, would a 16' box be sufficient to get the car in and strapped down? Thanks, Peter.
I think the answer is yes, you can put a GTV in a 16' box. But it won't be very convenient. You will likely have to tie it down with tire straps as there might not be room for fore/aft straps to the chassis.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I think the 18 +2 in a V would work good. I towed for years with a square nose 20 before upgrading. Racing with tools and heavy spares and stuff I sometimes had to avoid excess tongue weight by putting a couple things behind the car.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Additionally I would suggest 2 3500 pound axles and torque flex type. They run pretty good on the rare chance you overload them and have to haul on the bump stops. They will provide a much softer ride the most of the time they are not overloaded.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did purchase a 8.5x18' with a 2' V. I'm happy with the purchase. Drove to Georgia to pick it up then to S. Carolina to pick up a '69 GTV. Drove beautifully, barely noticed it behind me except for the extra fill ups at the gas station. The GTV is a friends, not mine.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts