Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted something about this on the Alfa Digest, too: I'm looking for a hitch to pull a light camping trailer. Brian Shorey was kind enough to send a link to one of John Hertzman's posts, identifying a part available from the Milano accessories catalog as "10000.95.012.09.00, 'Specially designed, heavy duty, class 2 tow hitch, 2,500 lbs maximum capacity, 2" ball.' " This was in 2001, and Brian thinks that the 10000 prefix indicates a US-sourced part from ARI. That's a whole pile of dead ducks... So do any of the respected co-Alfa Addicts on this Forum have any further suggestions? Mr. Shorey says that the item that he's familiar with used mounting plates that bolted to the trunk floor in several places, which seems kind of necessary given the lack of any heavy metal back there.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,419 Posts
The accessory trailer hitch does mount exactly as Brian described. They pop up for sale on eBay from time to time. You could probably have a local fabricator build something similar easily enough.

Most people I know used them for a trailer-hitch-mounted bike rack or a very light autocross trailer that held an extra set of wheels and tools. Knowing that the whole rear structure of the Milano is quite fragile, I would think twice about pulling much more than that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I'm contemplating is the "teardrop" variety of camping trailer. I have the compendium of road tests that was used as an advertising piece for the Milano ca. '87, and the test from the SCCA magazine lists maximum tow bar load and draw weight - 110 and 2500 lb. respectively. Teardrops fully loaded generally come in at less than 800 pounds or so, even with a full pull-out kitchen. Hertzman wrote of pulling an English-built travel trailer all over Europe with a Giulia TI, complete with kitchen, library and all the rest; I'm just wanting to use the Milano for my twice-yearly group outings instead of the Forester, which I can sleep in but which lacks the soul and panache I'd prefer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the inside mounting for the Alfa original trailer hitch for the Milano?

I got and and started installing it today, but even after scraping sound deadening material off the floor of the trunk, it doesn't seem to fit just right.

The long bar the goes across the width of the car looks like it should touch against the rear of the trunk, in addition to the two mounting points on the side. But it doesn't go back that far.

I don't plan on pulling more than 1000 lbs, but I just want to make sure everything is good.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I've got one sitting on my garage floor at the moment (or at least I'm lead to believe that it's an original part!!)... Unfortunately I'm off doing my best impression of a really really bad snow boarder so I'm not home until Friday... I can post pictures then...

It's free to a good home but shipping from New Zealand could be an issue... alternatively if anyone's interested I can post the specs to enable fabrication...

Hope this is of some use!!

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
175 Posts
Got it mounted last night. It made more sense once I realized the plate that runs across the width of the car mounts on top of the flat plate that sits beside the spare tire well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike, if you could post the specs that would be helpful. There are lots of shops here in Los Angeles County that routinely build custom hitches, and if I could give them enough guidance so they didn't have to invent one from scratch it'd probably be a lot cheaper than getting one shipped from anywhere. Especially NZ!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes, please post pics, as im sure i could easily build it if i just had some guidance on mounting points, and its general shape etc.

a hitch for the purposes of bike racks and small utility trailers would be awesome, as the trunks arnet that big on US models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts