Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of luck do you think I would have on trading my 1990 Alfa Graduate in at a used car dealership? I have mine for sale ABB classifieds and on CL, but I have had little interest.

Suggestions? Stories?

I need a car with four seats -

Thanks,

jhk

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,560 Posts
you won't get squat for it there. don't kill the messager but you are most likely asking more than the marker will bare. Whatever you lower the price to where it will sell will still be more than a car dealer will give you. Then again truth is stranger than fiction so it can't hurt to try, what's the worst that can happen? you walk away.

·
Administrator
17,465 Posts
I need... four seats
Well, you could buy a second Spider...

Seriously, I agree with gigem75, you won't get top dollar but you might get lucky.

The problem with selling on the BB is most folks here already have their Alfa. Doesn't stop the ALFA's (Always Looking For Another) but that isn't the majority (due to life & spouses I suppose).

How much does it cost to sell on eBay? You can get national/world wide exposure. A good ad - plenty of photos and accurate descriptions - seem to garner the most interest. But then you have to deal with all the internet tire-kickers & low lifes (as opposed to the low lifes here...).

I suspect the economy still hasn't recovered enough for folks to be buying 'toys' yet. But Spider weather approaches - seems like prime selling season is on us. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that is my thought on not getting much...i guess it is also dependent on whether I can get a descent deal on the other car.

I know lowering the price might be the answer, but I am not starving yet. I am not willing to slash the price - too much work completed.

uggghh

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
I bought my '78 (not really the correct term to use here, more like "took it off his hands" ) at a BMW/Porsche dealer in 2003.

He had taken it in as a trade for a new Z3 in June of 2002. 7 months later it was still there. I saw it, walked in, poked around it, drove it around for awhile, made some phone calls to my knowledgeable friends and offered him my decades old, run-to-death, beat-to-s..t pickup as a straight swap and they jumped on the idea!
The truck was worth about $1k to me on a trade for a new truck, but much more than that to him because he could turn the truck quickly, something he hadn't been able to do with the Spider.
I'm not sure why he kept it on the lot as long as he did because it was in the back covered in filth when I found it. Its almost like he hated to let it go to some kid who knew nothing about it or some dad who wanted to buy it as a graduation present for his daughter.
I guess I "talked the talk and walked the walk" and he appreciated my knowledge and enthusiasm and wanted me to have it.

Sorry for the story but I guess its just a crap shoot.
I dont know what he gave the PO for it, but I picked it up for that old truck of mine......

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Wait awhile. Maybe you can trade it in at a FIAT dealer on a new 500.

·
Registered
what part?
10,125 Posts
as a car salesperson, don't trade it in at dealership, they will not give you anything for it, they will claim is is a 21 year old car, we can't re-sell it, can't sell any warrentys on it, etc.. craigslist, better off there..

·
Super Moderator
11,230 Posts
I know lowering the price might be the answer, but I am not starving yet. I am not willing to slash the price - too much work completed.
If you want to get top dollar I really doubt trading it in with a dealer will be the best solution.

#1 It's a 21 year old car with a marque no longer sold in the US. I read Bill's story above, but typically a dealer won't attempt to sell an old, obscure car directly - they want to get paid quickly, so they re-sell these cars to an auction company. I'm sure the auction companies don't pay very much.

#2 Even if you had a 5 year old Toyota, the lore is that you always get less from a dealer trade-in than from a private party sale. With a trade-in, you are sacrificing $$ for convenience.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you trade it in at the dealer it will likely be well under $500. I want to sell my Milano and I have the same problem. I just want to sell it and buy another cheap car, but a 2.5 Milano is really worth about 1/2 what a Toyota corolla in the same condition would be worth.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you can wait until spring, you'll probably have better luck then. If you sell through eBay using a no-reserve auction with a starting bid of almost nothing, you'll probably get more money for the car than you would anywhere else. That said, it's still risky as you'll find out real quickly just what market value really is--and that might be a disappointment. Good luck with it regardless of what you decide. If it was my car, though, I'd use eBay. I love browsing Craigslist, but selling a car on there is a royal pain.

You might be able to get a dealer to trade you a box of doughnuts for the car, but I wouldn't expect much more than that.

Evan

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The average auto dealership run by a cold blooded sales manager does not even want to see a car like an Alfa show up on his lot. To him it is just an unwanted headach and they usually have a black book list of specialty dealers or junk yards who they contact to take odd ball cars and problem children off their hands. If he makes you an offer at all it will only be after he disappears into the back to place a few phone calls and see what he can unload it for. If he makes you an offer at all you can rest assured he already has an outlet to get rid of the thing just in case the two of you reach some kind of an agreement. You can also rest assured he will not give you anything close to it's true worth.

FIAT = Fix It And Trade (it)

Good Luck, Robert Hill in Memphis TN

1959 red Giulietta Spider Veloce
1988 black Spider Veloce
1988 red Spider Quad

·
Premium Member
27,323 Posts
Might I suggest you just go buy another car with four seats and keep the Spider.

It is far easier to sell a car when you don't need to sell it.

You might even trade it for a 164.

·
Registered
372 Posts
maybe a related story.... My wife and I took our 2002 Saturn into a Volvo dealer, they gave us the keys to an S40 for the weekend (had some service loaners for sale), came back and they actually told us they would give us more off the price new if we didnt trade in the Saturn! I was shocked. That was a year and a half ago, we are still driving the Saturn and it still looks and runs great--not like it is a beater by any stretch.

If you find the right used car dealer, you may be able to trade out. You do have a giant auto auction just north near Apopka, FL, though. Id say try CL somewhere like Gainesville where the Univ is, or a paper in the Villiages, or a similar smaller market.

Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts