Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: Looking to trade a complete 4.10 LSD rear axle assembly for a complete 4.56 LSD axle assembly, including tubes.

Howdy!

Looking for a 4.56 LSD differential, can trade for a stock S3 4.10 LSD if desired. Just the diff, entire rear assembly, whatever works! Don't need the rear suspension and trailing arms.
I want to get awesome acceleration for autocrossing on sticky tires, top speed is really not my thing. I will also consider LSDs with taller than 4.56 ratios, evidently.

Cheers,
--Andre

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
Looking for a 4.56 LSD differential, Just the diff, entire rear assembly, whatever works!
I don't have a 4.56 to trade nor live near Chicago. But...

You will have an easier time swapping in a complete rear axle assembly than trying to put 4.56 ring and pinion gears into your existing housing. The reason is that both the ring gear & LSD and the pinion shaft are located with shims that are unique to every axle assembly. If you intermix parts from different cars you have to take some precise measurements and add/subtract shims accordingly. Not a simple job.

On the other hand, swapping entire axle assemblies is a simple job. And simple is good!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Jay has spoken.

One would be wise to listen....

(And I agree, just swap over like for like)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will have an easier time swapping in a complete rear axle assembly than trying to put 4.56 ring and pinion gears into your existing housing. The reason is that both the ring gear & LSD and the pinion shaft are located with shims that are unique to every axle assembly. If you intermix parts from different cars you have to take some precise measurements and add/subtract shims accordingly. Not a simple job.
Aye, I've shimmed LSDs several times before (on BMW E30s and Miatas) Like anything else with cars, a PITA. Are the shims largely available in the aftermarket, or unobtanium?

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
Are the shims largely available in the aftermarket, or unobtanium?
I've never seen them on the websites of Classic Alfa, Alfaholics, Centerline or other well-known Alfa parts suppliers. So while others may chime in with sources, I have no idea of where you'd get them. I can tell you that they're not something you'll find at Ace Hardware!

·
Richard Jemison
7,370 Posts
As stated Never attempt to swap just ring and pinions into a different housing. You need at least the left tube and center section to maintain factory setup.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As stated Never attempt to swap just ring and pinions into a different housing. You need at least the left tube and center section to maintain factory setup.
To be precise, that is not what was stated. Jay mentioned I would have an easier time swapping the entire assembly, and could shim the LSD to fit. In your experience, I shouldn't try to shim for fitment?

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
To be precise, that is not what was stated. Jay mentioned I would have an easier time swapping the entire assembly, and could shim the LSD to fit.
Uh, now you have me confused!

What I thought I said was: "you would have an easier time swapping the entire assembly". Period

What I said about shimming the ring and pinion was to avoid having to do it by swapping the entire rear axle assembly.

·
Richard Jemison
7,370 Posts
If you bought only the center chunk, the housing and assembled ring & pinion, you will have to (only) re-shim the left tube`s bearing race to get proper bearing preload as lash is set by the bearing race in the aluminum housing.

Problem? Getting that bearing race out is far harder than difficult!! I made a special tool to remove them. Then you have to have a reduced diameter bearing race that can be removed by hand and a shim collection to fit (and remove several times) to get to the correct bearing preload. Again having an adequate shim collection of these special sized shims is necessary.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have a 9-41 center section I can sell, no tubes. LittleItalian on the BB can set it up, he has all the special tools. $200 plus shipping.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 9-41 center section I can sell, no tubes. LittleItalian on the BB can set it up, he has all the special tools. $200 plus shipping.
VERY interesting! Is LittleItalian around the Chicago region? Could you please send me an estimate on shipping to 60126, if you are able to?

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts