Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question that requires a brief background.

I've had my car less than a year. It runs great, but its body has seen better days. Let's call it a good "usable" car. There are a few small rust bubbles in the paint, and even a couple of dime-sized spots of bare metal. Lord knows the condition of the inner sills, although I can guess.

I use the bare metal spots on the body as a guide to the body's overall condition. I figure that if they stay rust free (which they do because I keep the car dry), then it's safe to assume that rust isn't developing or getting worse anywhere else.

Is that a safe assumption? Is it possible to completely halt the advancement of rust by keeping the car dry as I'm doing, or will those rust bubbles inevitably get worse?

This car isn't good enough to warrant big investments, so I'm trying to decide how long I should keep it -- or rather how long I *can* keep it before it becomes worthless due to tin rot. If I could keep it in its current condition indefinitely, I would probably keep it a long time.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Sort of. But I would spray something like Rustroy inside all box sections, chassis rails, etc. Then you will halt the progress of rust.

But I would also clean and poke around the underside of your car, behind wheels, etc. to ensure there is no dirt sitting anywhere. Dirt is the problem because it holds moisture against the inside of our precious panels. With my 156v6 I recently had to replace the radiator and this involves removing the inner wheel well plastic liners and was surprised to find so much dirt sitting on the beginnings of sills/rocker area ... scary!
Pete

·
Registered
327 Posts
Reasonably safe assumption but it would be a good idea to inject some rustproofing like Dinitrol into the cavities, mine is the same and has various rust spots but nothing structural, but its kept outside under a cover, and used in the wet so the rustproofing has to work harder, been like that for four years and the rust hasn't moved....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts