Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1974 Spider 2000 right hand drive, sold in Australia in 1975. It is in great condition but at some stage has had a different engine fitted. The engine number is ARO1623070657, which I suspect is an Alfetta engine. I have attached aphoto of the engine. Would anyone be able to confirm the year of manuafacture of the engine and what model it was built for? many thanks for anyone who can advise me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hi Spider Australia

The engine number AR01623----- is an Alfetta engine
Suppose to be AR00512-------
Basically the same engine,,except Alfetta engines have pollution cams.
The cams can be changed to the 10548 cams instead of the possible 10520 pollution cams the Alfetta engine comes with.
Might go better with the earlier Dellorto carbys also.
Maybe you can replace those yellow carby tops with the original alloy ones and get rid of that braket that holds the switch (the round braket woth the 20 cent hole in it.)next to the LH rear carby.
Otherwise,all looks the same.

Robert

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much Robert, much appreciated.
Any idea of what year it might be?
Will also take your advice re the yellow carby tops and the round bracket!
Kind regards
Peter

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hi again Peter

Looks like a late 70s engine,like 1977-1980.
They are identical to the 105 engine externally,but maybe the oil dipstick is in the wrong place,and the engine number.
Just drive it and enjoy it,and drive it like an Alfa should be driven.

Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Robert - will do - the dipstick is to the left of the exhaust manifolds compared with the 105 motor and yours in the photo (which looks great!) which has it at the front.
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Yeah,,it did look great before i put the car in storage a few years ago.
At least you can drive yours.
I have plenty of others to drive.
Spiders are great to drive,even with different engines and dipsticks on the wrong side.
Just replace those yellow carby tops and noone will know the difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Not my fleet,just customers cars.

You car looks great Peter.
Looks like you drive it spiritedly.
Nice period factory alloys also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good day , looks like you know the Spiders like the back of your hand! I have a 1982 (I think) Spider my Dad gave me years ago, I want to register and get the car on the road here in South Africa, I need to find the Engine Serial number and the Car VIn or Serial number...… where can I look for this...? I have a number AR00515*0141129* is this maybe a Engine number? Also when I opened the Bonnet I found this number right in the middle of the engine on the actually body of the car AR115382473035....is this perhaps the VIN number...?hope you can help with this strange request! There is a plate also in the Engine bay with OGM13585OM/TYPO11538.... not sure what numbers these are?

·
Registered
93 Posts
The AR115 number on the body plate is in fact the VIN. Engine number will be stamped on the block, on a casting boss at the exhaust side, close to the middle of the block. The AR005 is an engine number, check the block to confirm it's correct.

Reactions: StephenSpider

·
Premium Member
23,107 Posts
In the US the late Spica Spider engines were numbered in the same series as Alfetta engine, most likely because they were identical for certification and smog reasons (other than the couple years that had CA and 49-state cars). Functionally there were differences to pan, pump, flywheel, location of air pump. But they were all numbered in the Alfetta series.

After about 1960, Alfa no longer tracked engine numbers to specific cars. I have seen invoices later with that info, and in owner's manuals, but I think those are one-offs, lucky if you find them.

Andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts