Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to track down an oil leak. The oil seems to be forming around the dipstick hose that goes into the oil pan. The picture here is showing the top of the oil pan with the dipstick. It’s pretty clear that the wrapping is cracked and it’s possible the oil could be leaking from here I suppose. However the oil also appears to be coming from up higher. If you see to the left of the nut there is a hole that fills up with oil. I am also wondering what this hole is, should there be a bolt that goes in there or perhaps a hose that comes out? thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I am trying to track down an oil leak. The oil seems to be forming around the dipstick hose that goes into the oil pan. The picture here is showing the top of the oil pan with the dipstick. It’s pretty clear that the wrapping is cracked and it’s possible the oil could be leaking from here I suppose. However the oil also appears to be coming from up higher. If you see to the left of the nut there is a hole that fills up with oil. I am also wondering what this hole is, should there be a bolt that goes in there or perhaps a hose that comes out? thanks!

View attachment 1667331
Something does not look right. Besides the copper tube coming from your OVS;)

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Something does not look right. Besides the copper tube coming from your OVS;)
For reference, here is a shot of one that was not leaking before being removed from the car.
This is from an 85 and yours is an 83 or 84? Looks like Alfa changed something.

Reactions: vbisbest

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
On the 70s cars, the dipstick went through a fitting in the upper pan like the OP’s photo. At some point, Alfa modified the dipstick so that it went through a fitting at the base of the block, which is what is shown in Pantera928’s photo.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The hole at the base of the block is normal; no missing bolt. The dipstick holder is not OE. It should look like the image in post #3, but what ever holds the tube in place and doesn't leak, and is the proper length, is ok. As for the oil leak, I would clean the area well (spray brake clean and compressed air works well) and then go for a drive. Look at the tachometer drive at the coolant pump and front crank seal area. NAPA sells a UV dye that can be added to the oil. Or source a UV dye kit that comes with a UV "black" light flashlight to find the leak. Of course there are many places that oil can leak from on these old engines. Excessive crankcase pressure and/or a clogged Oil Vapor Separator can cause problems too.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I found my leak and unfortunately it appears to be at the head gasket. It’s kind of odd that I see the gasket sticking out as it does, is this normal? Also, the bolt is screwed in from the bottom but the threads are at the top. Is that also correct?

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
yes, head gasket sticking out like that and bolt from underneath is correct
the bolt does sometimes leak (there is one either side of the head at the front)

Just remove it (or both, if the other one is also wet with oil), then clean the threads from the oil with some brake cleaner (shoot some up into the bolt hole too)
let it dry off a few moments, then replace the 2 bolts with some sealant wiped on the threads and around the washer and base of the bolt head.

Don't overdo the tightness....use your feel with a short (I think 13mm ?) ring wrench...remember you are working with aluminium threads.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, head gasket sticking out like that and bolt from underneath is correct
the bolt does sometimes leak (there is one either side of the head at the front)

Just remove it (or both, if the other one is also wet with oil), then clean the threads from the oil with some brake cleaner (shoot some up into the bolt hole too)
let it dry off a few moments, then replace the 2 bolts with some sealant wiped on the threads and around the washer and base of the bolt head.

Don't overdo the tightness....use your feel with a short (I think 13mm ?) ring wrench...remember you are working with aluminium threads.
I dont think its leaking from the bolt, its coming right from the corner where my finger is. But I could losen up the bold and retorque it and perhaps that will fix it?

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Not entirely uncommon to get a leak there where the timing chain cover meets the block.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not entirely uncommon to get a leak there where the timing chain cover meets the block.
I think you are right in this case. I took out the bolt, degreased everything and tightened everything up. Oil is still leaking from that area. I think its coming from the "up and down" seal rather than the head gasket "across". Is that possible?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I think I found my leak and unfortunately it appears to be at the head gasket. It’s kind of odd that I see the gasket sticking out as it does, is this normal? Also, the bolt is screwed in from the bottom but the threads are at the top. Is that also correct? View attachment 1667335
All correct but not an uncommon leak area.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I think you are right in this case. I took out the bolt, degreased everything and tightened everything up. Oil is still leaking from that area. I think its coming from the "up and down" seal rather than the head gasket "across". Is that possible?
Very possible and not that unusual.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does anyone have a source or PN for this tube to block gasket/seal? Mine is very perished and seems to have been spewing oil for quite some time under previous ownership

For reference, here is a shot of one that was not leaking before being removed from the car.
This is from an 85 and yours is an 83 or 84? Looks like Alfa changed something.
View attachment 1667332

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
Does anyone have a source or PN for this tube to block gasket/seal? Mine is very perished and seems to have been spewing oil for quite some time under previous ownership
a short length of heater hose should do it:)

the S4 parts book lists both (no. 5 here) with the same PN 60777334)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Larry at APE should have good used ones.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It is just a short length pf oil-resistant hose inside the clamp. I think it's included in engine gasket sets. Perhaps a piece of fuel hose would work?

View attachment 1667468 View attachment 1667469
Thanks, I believe these were included in a gasket set I bought from Centerline. I asked them what they were for but did not receive a response. Not sure why you'd bother with used. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
That upside down bolt on that same side has been a small leak for me too. I used a special hydro type sealant and after a thorough cleaning of the bolt and the threads in the head it stopped.

There is just enough room on that side of the head with a short torque wrench to get it to the correct torque.

In the 19 years of ownership I have had that bolt start leaking a few times, kinda like my number 4 exhaust manifold bottom bolt that loosens up every few years.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I have confirmed the leak is from the timing cover. Is there a way I can check the torque before tearing into this this thing. If so, what bolts should I check and what torque should they be at? There are 4 small nuts on the left. Are these what holds the cover on?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts