Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this is a new forum I'll try to start it off with something I've been wondering about but haven’t really had the time to research.

We all know that Alfa Romeo has its roots in automotive racing but what were considered the glory years (50's, 60's, 70's) and what hallmark events labeled them as so?

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
It was really...

the mid 1930s more than any other time that Alfa was dominant.......4 LeMans wins in the 1930s and lot of success in GP...Nuvolari's win in the 1935 German GP is considered by many the greatest GP win ever....

Surprisingly, the Alfa sportscar considered the greatest ever was not all that successful as a racecar...the 8c2900s only won the 1938 Mille Miglia...the 8c2300s won 4 LeMans races, the Targa Florio and the Mille Miglia,,and was also successful in it's GP car version (the Alfa Monza GP was very similar to the 8c2300; basically an 8c2300 without fenders and lights)

The 158/159 "Alfetta" GP cars were almost unbeatable from 1949-1951 (without checking, I think they only lost 3 races)...but they had problems in sportscar racing at the Mille Miglia and at LeMans and didn't do nearly as well as "expected"...

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Frank's site

is EXCELLENT!!

The best source for Alfa history articles is the Dutch Alfa club magazine, Het K...

Unfortunately Ben Hendriks, who was EXTREMELY knowledgable and the editor for many years passed away a few years ago...he was a GREAT guy too.. :( :( :(

Other good sources are the Alfa model register newsletters, most of which are European based.

One of the things that POs me is that I offered to do US model register newsletters for FREE if the national Alfa club would pay for printing and postage...they said NO...yet they spent thousands of $$s for national time trials equipment and a computer and programs for Glenna Garrett.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Dear Dr., once again, please refrain from personally attacking individuals. Not in good taste.
Takes more than combat gear to make a man,
Takes more than a license for a gun,
Confront your enemies, avoid them when you can,
A gentleman will walk, but never run.
If manners maketh men, as someone said,
He's the hero of the day,
Takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile,
Be yourself, no matter what they say.
The general.
Actually, it's Sting (Englishman in NY).

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I'm not attacking Glenna or anyone...

it's simply a matter of FACT that the "powers that be" in the national Alfa club chose to spend money on time trials stuff for Phyllis, and for Glenna's computer system than starting and maintaining US model registers and newsletters...which I offered to compile and maintain for FREE if the club just would pay for printing and postage costs...

In the Los Angeles club, for YEARS, the powers that be (even though I was VP for a few years) ALWAYS went along with Charlie Thieriot's time trials expenses rather than support a proper and regular newsletter (which, for quite some time, Gary Patitz and I did 90% of the work)...again for FREE...

It was the choice of the national board and the majority of the local board to do what they did, but I think it was a BIG mistake.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! Mid 30's I cant believe that. Thanks for the lead on Mr. Nuvolari. I did a quick search and it seems there are entire websites dedicated to this guys racing career.

Look at the positive camber on the inside front. Is that how they ran these things or is it just the way the suspension works.

http://www.tazionuvolari.it/corse6it.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
although the giulietta may not be the mark for Alfa's racing, the giulietta deserves mention. A good source for info can be read in "The Racing Giuliettas" by Donald Hughes & Vito Witting da Prato. English and Italian, (Giulietta da corsa)
(anyone reading Italian, I have a copy)

about
the SV, SVZ, SZ, and the slow fat SS

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
smestas said:

Look at the positive camber on the inside front. Is that how they ran these things or is it just the way the suspension works.
Front suspensions 'back then', both racing and production vehicles from many manufacturers, were designed with, as compaired to today, excessive positive camber. It was detemined that this greatly reduced bump shock loads to the steering gear making for an easier drive.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
of course the Giuliettas

and Giulias are important in Alfa history, as are the T33s from the late 60s and early to mid 70s, but they do not (IMO) have as much importance as the 30s to 50s cars.

Speaking of front suspension, the Bugatti GP cars of the 20s and 30s had about 20 degrees camber STATIC!

·
Registered
241 Posts
The only Tipo 33 Can Am.....

Just a note of interest......

The only Tipo 33 that raced in the Can Am series* was owned by Otto Zipper Alfa of L.A., and was raced most successfully by Milt Minter in 1973. Milt's best finish in the Tipo 33 was 5th place, which he did twice. The most interesting race was Milt's first race in the car at Laguna Seca in 1973. Milt had broken his neck the week before (driving an Al Holbert Porsche) but he didn't tell Otto about it. He couldn't hold his head up while cornering (because his neck was broken!) so he had the crew TAPE his head to the roll bar!!! He came in 5th, behind Mark Donohue in the 917/30, Jackie oliver in the UOP Shadow, Hurley Haywood in a 917/10, and Bobby Brown in a McLaren M8.

He also totalled the car on the first lap of the first race of the '74 season.

For those of you that were at the AROSC event at Buttonwillow last weekend, you got a chance to see Milt race in the last race of his career, which started in 1953. He finished 2nd.

Some great pictures of the Tipo 33:

http://www.autosportsltd.com/milt-16.html

In this picture, you can actually see the tape. Click the "return" link and see other great shots of the Tipo 33!

* Scooter Patrick raced the same car in the 71 and 72 seasons, and there were a couple of "guest" Tipo 33s that raced at Watkins Glen once.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
nice link...

with some good shots of the T33 and how much it was modified for Can Am...

too bad the car was a write off the next year...

Any specific details about where the remnants of the car went? If so, Tony Adriaensens would like to hear about it, as he is working on a book on the T33s. Tony is the guy that did the great GTA book a few years ago...

·
Registered
241 Posts
No idea where it went

But I did ask. Milt didn't really even want me to know the HE totalled it. I saw pictures of the crash (at Milt's house), and it didn't look so bad to me. Milt told me that the "new" body was built by a German fellow who did a bunch of aero work on 917s, and it made a huge difference. I am also interested in the whereabouts of that car, as it was an important 33. Here is a picture of it in practce (Watkins Glen, 1974) right befre it was totalled. Note the airbox!

Attachments

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Personally, I think

the original body style was much better looking; the car looks like a 917 clone...and that airbox is sitting WAY to far up in the airstream. They have certainly learned a lot about airbox design in the last 35 years.

A guy named Ketchum (who is realated to the guy that drew Dennis the Menice cartoons) runs the T33 register (although it really isn't active; the last copy I saw was at least 5 years old). He lives up in Northern California...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Uh.....what about "un"-domination??

Here's a quiz on undominating Alfas......

Who/Where/What/When/What car/What happened to the car/Where did it happen/how did it happen/Where is it now?

dretc.......this should take you about 5 seconds!

I found this picture in a bin of old race photos at Sears Point a few years back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Re: Uh.....what about "un"-domination??

argtv7 said:
Here's a quiz on undominating Alfas......

Who/Where/What/When/What car/What happened to the car/Where did it happen/how did it happen/Where is it now?

dretc.......this should take you about 5 seconds!

I found this picture in a bin of old race photos at Sears Point a few years back.
Charlie Theriot

Riverside Raceway

Trans Am Race

1600 GTA RHD

Car was totaled at Riverside when and oil line in the car broke and sprayed the driver with hot oil.

VIN is over Charlie's work bench in his garage and rear half of car is sitting in Scott Grey's shop up against the wall.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Right!

Right! From what I understand, it was actually a transmission cooler line, that ran from the gear box, into the driver's side footwell, that broke.

I also understand that the roll bar was made of lightweight aluminum lawn furniture :)

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
and he crashed another

Charlie sold one of the 2 GTAs he had to a guy in the midwest about 10 years ago (can't think of his name) and crashed it while racing with him.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Oh yeah......

I forgot about that. Watkins Glen. The red one. I think he even broke a vertabrae in that one.......

And the white one (also rhd) got rolled in Mexico in the late '80s.
Hhmmmmmmmm. Maybe it's better off being a paint storage shelf instead of a GTA. At least that's what it was last time I saw it. It's such a cool car!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts