Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Im getting twitchy and I need to have a project. So I am turning my parts car milano into a track car after I sell my spider. As I am still in high school, there is going to be a tight buget so im doing as little buying of new parts as possible. It will mainly be a strip, clean, and install what is really needed. On top of this I wanted a LOUD exhaust noise because my everyday milano has the relatively quiet stock exhaust, any ideas? Was thinking straight piped, is that bad? Also, where do I find 27mm or larger torsion bars besides performatek?

Ciao

Miguel

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
If you can't afford the torsion bars search here for coilovers. A member made some using mountain bike springs.
I don't think coilovers are ideal but it's an inexpensive way to stiffen the car.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Depending on your level of driving skills the money may be better spent on driving schools and learning to drive fast. If you have a lot of experience with karts or something then that may not be needed. If you don't have the track experience then competent instruction will help your lap times a lot more than adding go fast parts.

Kevin

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for tge replies. NM, Coilovers never really occurred to me because I though I would have to buy pre-made ones, Ill have to look into it. Kevin, the reason I am trying to build this car cheap is so that I have a car to use instead of my daily driver and still have some cash left over to possibly get some driving instruction. Im not really looking to put a bunch of go-fast parts in it as much as Im looking to modify what I have. Thanks for the ideas you guys, everything helps.

Miguel

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Miguel,

If that is the case then I wouldn't worry about upgrading the torsion bars, for those you should really upgrade your springs and shocks too and that will get expensive. Even the stock Milano is a hoot to drive, do you have a 2.5 or a 3.0? A relatively cheap upgrade that is worth it is to go with a 3.0L. Is the car drivable now? Will it pass inspection? I'd get all that sorted and drive it for a while and even take it on the track that way for a while before adding bigger torsion bars and the like.

Check out my website to see some of the projects that I did.

Kevin

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks Kevin, dont know if its running yet and i think theres a problem with the transaxle (not to worry, i have a spare), but will be a good winter project. I will also look at your website, its always fun to look at someone elses work. You dont happen to have an oppinion on quick and dirty exhausts do you?

Thanks again,

Miguel

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
iYou dont happen to have an oppinion on quick and dirty exhausts do you?

Miguel
Depending on the length of your planned track sessions a side exit exhaust would help.
The stock Milano brake system can be made to work quite well with braided hoses and good pads. For short (20-30) sessions it's not much of an issue but for long events the rear calipers get hot. Moving the exhaust away from the right rear caliper helps alleviate this.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Yeah, we did that on our Lemons Milano but it can be quite loud and annoying for long stints! Weird thing is the car is one of the quietest ones even when screaming by on the straights but it is obscenely loud in the cabin.

Kevin

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok cool, i love the noise so that is no problem. I have heard that with shorter exhausts especially unmuffeled ones, there is a chance of debris up the manifold, do you guys think that is something to worry sbout?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I've never heard of that. I've heard of water into the intake depending on the air filter setup and placement but not debris up the exhaust (should be only positive pressure out, not sucking in!).

Kevin

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Alfatothemax,

Based on your posts, both here and elsewhere in forum, it sounds like you're an enthusiastic, very young, and very broke Alfista in the making. It's clear you have a lot to learn but you have a great community here, and a fun car to learn on.

A few things, for ANY car: fast, cheap, reliable - pick 2. Period.

Listen to what other experienced folks have to say: the car, in maintained stock form, will be reliable and plenty capable for you to hone your driving (and wrenching) skill.

If you have to choose what to spend your money on to go faster, in order of importance (and assuming a generally healthy, SAFE car), and assuming you don't want to drop $3,000+ on a driving school yet:

1. the best tires you can afford
2. the best shocks you can afford

Yes, tires are that important. And, adjusting rebound rate alone (a la yellow Koni shocks) will alter the balance of the car, noticeably.

Before going to the track, you should consider finding local autocrosses to drive. It is a great way to learn the basics. They are also cheaper, safer, typically more frequent, etc. In many ways it's the gymnastics of driving. And still a lot of fun on street tires.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks Rob,

Your right on the money. I bought my first car two years ago at age 14, a frankensteined Milano gold lowered with konis and in the past two years i bought another Milano and a spider, so very broke. I have a set of yokohama semi-slicks on alloys which i got with the first car but have never used. Going to build up/clean up the second milano with a good suspension (qa1homemade coilovers on slyalfa's thread: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1985-1993/151993-200-milano-gold-sale-san-luis-obispo-5.html ) and the slicks , its currently not driving but could be quickly. Mainly working on that one so the first, my everyday car, stays nice and reliable, the other (track car) would only be driven a couple times a month to keep it running smooth. The quick and dirty exhaust is simply for my pleasure. I always love hearing from you guys on here, its nice to listen to someone who knows what theyre talking about. Half of the studying i do everyday is for english homework, the other half is on the BB.

Thanks again for the suggestions,

Miguel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts