Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a spare transmission that I don't know the origin or model year of. Does anyone know how to trace the model/year of a transmission based on the serial number on the case?

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
Can't help with the serial number but a pic or two of the bellhousing may help to narrow it down a bit.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't have the bellhousing, just the transmission. It came from out of a barn somewhere, so I also don't know the running condition when it was removed. It visually looks just like the one in my 74 Spider. I think the transmissions interchangable among the various spiders, however, I know the pre-'69 transmissions had non-moly syncros. I think only moly syncros are available now, which I assume can be fitted into the old boxes. Since this is my first rebuild of an Alfa box, I'd be interested if anyone has some example pictures of how to visually inspect the wear on various components such as syncro rings and collars.

Just be sure I'll do at least the "min rebuild," but would still like to add to my knowledge of wear patterns and limits.

1. Does anybody have a serial number cross-reference?

2. What's the visual difference between moly & non-moly syncros?

3. What does a worn syncro look like?

4. What does a worn collar ring look like?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Mike Valant's web site

Go to:

www.mev.cc

It has lots of good information and pictures.

Good luck,

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I have seen Mike's site before. I think I'll take some pictures of dismantling my gearbox for future instruction. Maybe post on AlfaBB?

How does everybody feel about having a tech reference library on AlfaBB?

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
Roadtrip said:

Works for me!!

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Roadtrip said:
We're trying guy's. You guy's provide some incredible information. Me and Simon already have a planned layout for the site, we just need to stop talking about it and do it.

We just need to get to work.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I'd volunteer to help but I don't know how I could contribute. I could be a spotter maybe. I keep using the search function to go back to posts from Jim, Roadtrip, Anthony, Sniady, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts