Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can I tow a 5 speed without doing it any damage? I need to go about twenty miles and don't want to undo the driveshaft.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
You want to "flat tow" it behind a car? The best way is to put the rear wheels on a dolly and then tow the dolly (making sure to lock the front wheels in the ahead driving position of course!). However, if you want to flat tow it, there have been many Alfas towed that way and I haven't heard of anyone doing damage from a 20 mile tow. But, I wouldn't go much further than that.

Ciao,

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I wouldn't take any chances by towing her w/ rear rolling. Pay a little extra and get a car hauler and take her anywhere you want. UHaul has them for under $60 for 24 hrs.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Unlike an auto trans which gets it's lubricant supply from an engine driven oilpump, the countershaft (or layshaft) in a manual box is practically submerged in oil. However, if the engine isn't running, the gears aren't turning so there's no lubricant to the gear bushings on the output shaft which is turning.
Can you tow it 20 miles? Sure. But not much more. Two things that have worked for me in the past; if the engine runs, start it and let it run for the duration of the tow or using a piece of wood or something, hold the clutch pedal to the floor which will disengage the engine and allow the gears to spin.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I'm confused.

Can't you just throw the 5 speed in neutral, and go for hours?

I've seen people bring a tow dolly with their race car's on them, front on top, rear wheels on the road.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Whenever I needed my Spider towed I'd hire a flatbed tow truck. I didn't want to take any chances with the body bending. Surely you know someone with a AAA card. :)

Or, you could try this method. Just feed 'em and beer 'em afterwards.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
I towed my Spider behind our truck maybe 10miles at the max. Only reason I towed her was because well I overheated her pushing her a little to hard. :( Havent driven her since. But hopefully when I put her back together in a week or so it will run good enough to take to the local autox.:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys,

I ended up renting a uhaul, nice trailer. Buy nearly impossible to deal with uhaul over the phone, not the nordstroms of renting co.
They won't sell their trailers. period, too bad

about $60 per day to rent.

Sinady, when towing on the rears
I think one of the shafts in the trans rotates but the one that provides "splash" does not, so the gears don't get oiled.
I am prolly wrong about that though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts