Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crazy Paul Strikes again!!!
After 2 weeks of owning my first Spider, I decided one wasn't enough and bought another one at auction (sight unseen/mechanical condition unknown) 700 miles away. My plan is to tow it home via a "front wheels off the ground" RV type tow dolly...What could go wrong???!!!!
Realize I must depend on the integrity of the rear axle, differential, drive shaft, and main shaft of transmission.
Bur what else could happen??
Let's brain storm this plan!!
Thanks in advance for keeping me off (or at least fore warning me about pending disaster) the side of the road
Paul
89 Alfa

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
You should do fine. Make sure diff and trans have fluid in them and that trans is in neutral.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Make sure it's NOT in gear..... Has happened.

Might be best if you can disconnect the drive shaft at the diff. That way your not spinning the trans or the DS in case they are not 100%

·
Registered
158 Posts
If your tow vehicle's large enough (probably at least a full sized 1/2 ton PU or SUV) why not rent a one-way, full trailer? Not that much more money than one of those two-wheel tow dollies. With a 2500 lbs Alfa and open auto trailer, you're not looking at more than about 4000 lbs total to tow. (Caution, don't put a cover on it when towing, the flapping fabric can ruin the car finish).

I've towed a couple of collector cars that I bought hundreds of miles from home. Since I hadn't gone through the condition of the running gear, tires and lubrication yet I wasn't going to chance it before I could get it home.

·
Premium Member
21,682 Posts
I've towed many hundred miles by tow dolly and flat towing; for cars I wasn't sure of I removed the driveshaft, others I just didn't worry about it. My dad towed our MGA like 6000 miles in the 60s, never removed the driveshaft, no problems.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
There is a thread somewhere on the BB that discusses the problem with this. I recall that the idler bearings in the transmission are lubricated by the engine spinning the primary transmission shaft. Whe e car is towed this shaft does not spin so no lubrication. Short pulls, not too big an issue. 300 miles could ruin the transmission.

Easy solution is to remove the drive shaft. Takes a jack and a couple jack stands and about 10 minutes, good insurance.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It looks like you live in a pretty big market. Is the car coming from a major population center? If so, you might consider trying uship dot com about shipping. Might be less then you think.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
If it's mine, the shaft is being disconnected. ciao, jc

·
Registered
512 Posts
I towed my 86 quad from san diego to san antonio. No problems. I was told by a reputable alfa mechanic that it would not be a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Here's how a motorcyclist did it!

Thought I'd toss this in cuz' I've never seen the like!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I've used the tow-dolly method to pull a number of Berlinas from SF to the OC no problems, with the d/s in place. The potential problem is at angle, the tail pipe hitting the ground. Take all the weight out of the trunk: battery, spare, jack, etc. Make sure the rear tires are good and inflated to 30-32psi cold.

·
Administrator
12,545 Posts
Just hire a trailer. So much easier and safer.
Pete

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
for those who follow with a like question in the future. Since my route (Salt Lake City to Phoenix) goes through some pretty desolate country side and the car is an unknown to me, I've decided to use a carrier vs a dolly...dont need a break down in the middle of no where or anywhere for that matter when costs are considered!!

In car carriers:
mgsteve's suggestion to use a commercial car carrier (uship dot com ) was easy and not too expensive as it estimated out at $650...which is only a third more than I'm estimating for DYI. Pick-up time window is variable, and since I'll incur a $50/day storage cost soon, I've got to get going!!!

U-haul like car carrier trailer rental...Budget and Pensky wont rent a carrier unless your using one of their trucks. U-haul will rent the trailer solo if your vehicles pass the qualification formula on their web site, plus tow vehicle must pass physical inspection for hitch size and lights.

U-haul Estimates are:
One way rental: $450
Local rental (dont know mileage/area restrictions) ~$50/q 24hrs
One way, returning to same rental location (I didnt push for restrictions on this...will just take the description at face value!! LOL) $70 first day and $20 each day there after.

Planning to take off Tomorrow....Will post trip report
Thanks again for all replys
Paul
89 Spider
and soon to be 85 Spider

·
Registered
89 Posts
Maybe I missed something, but what would be wrong with towing with the front wheels down? Of course you have to make sure the steering wheel is locked and maybe even tied down solidly to make sure it doesn't turn. Then all concerns about drive shaft and transmission damage would be no issue.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
for those who follow with a like question in the future. Since my route (Salt Lake City to Phoenix) goes through some pretty desolate country side and the car is an unknown to me, I've decided to use a carrier vs a dolly...dont need a break down in the middle of no where or anywhere for that matter when costs are considered!!

In car carriers:
mgsteve's suggestion to use a commercial car carrier (uship dot com ) was easy and not too expensive as it estimated out at $650...which is only a third more than I'm estimating for DYI. Pick-up time window is variable, and since I'll incur a $50/day storage cost soon, I've got to get going!!!

U-haul like car carrier trailer rental...Budget and Pensky wont rent a carrier unless your using one of their trucks. U-haul will rent the trailer solo if your vehicles pass the qualification formula on their web site, plus tow vehicle must pass physical inspection for hitch size and lights.

U-haul Estimates are:
One way rental: $450
Local rental (dont know mileage/area restrictions) ~$50/q 24hrs
One way, returning to same rental location (I didnt push for restrictions on this...will just take the description at face value!! LOL) $70 first day and $20 each day there after.

Planning to take off Tomorrow....Will post trip report
Thanks again for all replys
Paul
89 Spider
and soon to be 85 Spider
This is how I traveled with my Spiders. Had to tell UHaul it was a Volkswagon Beetle as their system did not have a Alfa Spider in it.

Also, this way you do not have to worry about a flat tire on the Alfa if you are towing on a Dolly even if you do remove the drive shaft. Been there done that as well.

I think you have called it correctly.

Best wishes for your trip!

·
Premium Member
3,657 Posts
Brought both of my Spiders home from NYC on U-haul trailers.

Went down empty and came back with gems!

For the difference in cost, it was worth the peace of mind.

My $0.02

Good luck,

Vin

127_2783.jpg

127_2786.jpg

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We're Home

Thanks again to all responders. Trailering was smooth, 1,200 miles in 2 days with 600 of them in the rain went especially well, For piece of mind I highly recommend the U haul route..."one way, round trip plan"...2 days cost under $100 dollars. Van killed me on mpg of 12...but since this was her first road trip I'm pleased she also made it with out issues.
Thanks Again
Paul

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts