Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a Q be towed behind a dolly or does low clearance in back mandate a car carrier?

I need to bring it about 180 miles.

Prefer a dolly if it works.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
I would think a dolly would work on smooth highways. I jack up my 164S to the fullest extent of the jack, whatever that is, without the rear coming close to the ground.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Towing probably not an issue but you are going to probably going to have to jack the 164 up in front on both sides under front doors to then be able to back tow dolly underneath to clear front bumper espscially if a S or Q model.

We tore the front bumper off a L with less spoiler trying to do a deadstick rolling start down a hill onto a tow dolly.

I towed an S backwards on a tow dolly a short distance once because it was a dead one and that was the only way I could load it from the spot it was parked.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Down a hill might make it tougher. Flat surface? The starts and can drive a bit but has either slipping cam belt or clogged filter / bad fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Down a hill might make it tougher. Flat surface? The starts and can drive a bit but has either slipping cam belt or clogged filter / bad fuel pump.
Down a hill or flat loading the same if hill incline is flat which it was.

Starting a 164 with timing belt issues is not wise.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
EDIT...Sorry this is for a 12V engine...I forgot it was a Q

It pretty easy to confirm timing. Print out the template, remove the right front wheel well liner (3 Philips screws), line up marks on the crank, pop the...as Steve terms them...Madonna bra caps off and check the marks on the cams with the template.

As Steve says, don't start the car if the timing has jumped.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car has been started and moved ... Maybe even driven a bit in its current state. I'm told no white smoke. I'll be checking for oil in the radiator reservoir.

My lack of skills will prevent me from definitively checking the timing belt.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just to be clear, we are talking about an AWD car, right? The best way to tow an AWD car is all four wheels off the ground (flatbed or dollies under all wheels). You can flat tow a manual AWD car if it is kept in neutral.

If you're doing two wheels up, two wheels down towing, then disconnect the driveshaft from the wheels on the ground. Very bad things can happen to the transmission, transfer case, and differentials if you do a two wheel tow on an AWD car.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I thought the only "Q" model sold in the US was the AWD Quadrifoglio. I know Europe got other "Q"s (Q4 being AWD, Q and QV being FWD).

Was there a FWD Q sold in the US, or is that another name for a 164S? Or is this a gray import? Me am confuzzled. :confused:

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Discussion on different 164 models

The 24v Q4 (AWD) was never sold in USA. The 24v 164LS and 164Q both FWD were sold in USA.

The 164S was 12v FWD model.

The body exterior trim and wheels were the same on S and Q models.

The 24v LS body exterior trim different than Q and 164B and 164L 12v models.

Here is some info on these various models:

Alfa Romeo 164

Alfa Romeo 164 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I drove 4 hrs yesterday to look at the car. It can be had for $3000. Interior is terrific. Wow ...

Head gasket probably fine. Maybe it really is a fuel pump / filter issue. Car starts fine.

It was hit in back driver side. The hit messed up trunk lid. There is a bend right where the driver's side trunk hinge is. And also a little crease on body quarterpanel because of the hit. But...despite this everything seems to line up on driver's side except trunk. (Closes fine)

Bumper looks fun except for a wee bit scratched where hit. Side mirrors showing age but still fold. Needs a paint job although it would be okay for a while. Spoiler is toast though...a peeling mess.

Needs tires ASAP.

Rims are great. No curb rash that I could see.

Windshield on drivers side has crack running top to bottom. Not in line of site but I would seek a replacement soon.

Front air dam is in nice shape. Not mangled.

Sunroof seal is bad. Would need a replacement. He says it opens and closes and doesn't leak. BUT... I could see that seal is bad.

Headliner is loose in back area by rear window. Sagging.

Car has sat for two years. The owner is very nice and I think an honest guy. I don't have the $5000-8000 needed to make the car really nice and therefore passed.

Also needs timing belt and water pump and probably the usual new hoses and seals throughout ....owner did spend 3000 on AC related stuff in 2010. Car has gone 1k miles since 2010.

Also, portion of dash supposed to show climate info is out (led)

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Another OBTW there are a few other major issues to address but the car is an Alfa isn't that enough to cinch the deal?

"Car has sat for two years. The owner has no knowledge of Alfas. Very nice and I think honest guy. I don't have the $5000-8000 needed to make the car really nice and therefore passed." Your were a smart man my friend.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm no Alfa Steve but have learned a lot from you guys and by doing a ton of research. There's a local LS been for sale a long time. $1200. I could probably get for 800. Engine and more is toast. Interior terrific and body 'looks' good in pics. Major laundry list of probs.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Keep the search. I "stepped" into all of my Alfas quite by accident. You'll find one soon. ciao chris

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Probably could be made into a really nice car, but for $3000 with all those problems, I'd walk also.

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
Goat's old but good LS engine is for sale in San Diego cheap. Maybe put that in the LS?

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts