Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get a towbar for my 75? It is a 3 litre, but I don't know if it makes any difference as far as towbars go. I want to be able to take my family camping but the boot in my car is not big enough for all the gear, so I need to be able to tow a trailer. This is the only downside of the car. With four cars already I can't go out and buy something with a bigger boot, like a 164. Something would have to go and I want to keep them all at this stage.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Thinking more about it :eek: doesn't the 3L have a different fuel tank ? If so, the plans above may not suit.

However, I think I pulled this off CarDisc in the Australian Supplement. If you own a 75 you should get yourself a copy.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Thinking more about it :eek: doesn't the 3L have a different fuel tank ? If so, the plans above may not suit.

However, I think I pulled this off CarDisc in the Australian Supplement. If you own a 75 you should get yourself a copy.
My first impression upon reading the question was to say to take the car to a farm store and have one made or fitted. Does Australia have farm stores? This suggestion is obviously based on Michigan experience and how Pat handled things like this.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks Beatle, I will save a copy of that. I have a copy of CarDisc so I will have a look at that too. I did have a pdf of detailed drawings that I found on a UK website but I lost it when my hard drive died a few days ago. I haven't managed to find it again yet. A friend of mine has a factory towbar on his TS so I will have a look and see if the 3 litre fuel tank makes any difference. He has offered to take his car to a towbar maker with me to have it copied if I can't find one. The drawings will come in handy if I do that.
If anyone comes across a second hand towbar please let me know.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I had a look at the Hayman Reece site, but it seems as though their on-line catalogue only lists current model cars. Worse still, it doesn't even list Alfa Romeo however, I had a Reece towbar on TWO Mercedes that i've had in the past and i'd bet that they had one to suit the Alfa 75... Now, to find one.

I'd give Marc at Milano Spares in Thomastown, Victoria a call. They have first dibs on a lot of stat write-offs from insurance companies. Many 75s have been broken there so I wouldn't be surprised if they have one.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Cheryl,

I don't know what our version of a 'farm store' would be, but lots of firms would be able to fashion a towbar for most cars. The difficulty with the 75, and any Alfetta based car, is the centre exiting exhaust. On the TS the factory bar is secured through the side of the spare wheel tub and the floor, in close proximity to that loosely suspended exhaust pipe and rear muffler.

Also, with modern legislation changes now governing all things towbar, the 'pros' are reluctant to do anything artistic any more. Towbar fitting, like tyre fitting, now seems to be akin to flippin' burgers. You don't find skilled tradespeople willing to do the job because it simply isn't profitable to fashion something unique or in low demand.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a look at the Hayman Reece site, but it seems as though their on-line catalogue only lists current model cars. Worse still, it doesn't even list Alfa Romeo however, I had a Reece towbar on TWO Mercedes that i've had in the past and i'd bet that they had one to suit the Alfa 75... Now, to find one.

I'd give Marc at Milano Spares in Thomastown, Victoria a call. They have first dibs on a lot of stat write-offs from insurance companies. Many 75s have been broken there so I wouldn't be surprised if they have one.
Thanks for that. I'll give them a try.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The difficulty with the 75, and any Alfetta based car, is the centre exiting exhaust. On the TS the factory bar is secured through the side of the spare wheel tub and the floor, in close proximity to that loosely suspended exhaust pipe and rear muffler.
The 3 litre exhaust exits on the right so it might actually be easier to fit one.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Cheryl,

I don't know what our version of a 'farm store' would be, but lots of firms would be able to fashion a towbar for most cars. The difficulty with the 75, and any Alfetta based car, is the centre exiting exhaust. On the TS the factory bar is secured through the side of the spare wheel tub and the floor, in close proximity to that loosely suspended exhaust pipe and rear muffler.

Also, with modern legislation changes now governing all things towbar, the 'pros' are reluctant to do anything artistic any more. Towbar fitting, like tyre fitting, now seems to be akin to flippin' burgers. You don't find skilled tradespeople willing to do the job because it simply isn't profitable to fashion something unique or in low demand.
There was a towbar thread earlier this year on the bb, I believe. It seems to me they were putting a tow bar on a Milano with modifications, but I can't be positive.

How to describe a farm store in rural America. (Remember, Pat lived in a small town of 100 people or so. He was on the city library board, his wife was the librarian, and when she died the library set up a memorial garden and stone in her memory.) It's full of machinery and men in welding masks and torches working on tractors, trailers, whatever farm machinery you bring in. I stood in the parking lot and watched the welder come over to the truck and do the exact modification that Pat requested once they worked out the best way to accomplish the request. It's certainly a busy place, a dangerous place, and not somewhere you would take children that didn't understand the risk or that you don't look at the flame. But as far as regulations and creativity, there were none as far as regulations; create whatever you wanted to get the job done and they'd weld it up or install it for a price. Most of the people there knew the welders on a first name basis. Pat bought a lot of his tractor parts there for work he did himself.

I can flip hamburgers, but you wouldn't find me fitting, installing tires or towbars other than attaching it to the car being towed and the tow car.

·
Registered
612 Posts
a farm store! for sure there a few in south australia. but i think they like holdens, not alfas!
the alfetta rear clutch doesnt take well to towing. just the thought of taking up drive on a hill start in an alfetta with a trailer gives me a very mushy sensation

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a farm store! for sure there a few in south australia. but i think they like holdens, not alfas!
the alfetta rear clutch doesnt take well to towing. just the thought of taking up drive on a hill start in an alfetta with a trailer gives me a very mushy sensation
Why would towing be any more of a problem in an Alfetta than anything else? Factory towbars were available for them and the driver's handbook talks about towing weights etc. It says the 3 litre can tow a gross weight of 1,300kg. I remember one of the Americans on the BB talked about towing a self removal trailer right across the country loaded with furniture with his 75 with no problems. He posted a photo of the car and trailer. I'm only likely to tow a 6x4 trailer a couple of times a year with camping gear, so I shouldn't think it would be an issue.

·
Registered
612 Posts
if your not towing much you shouldl be fine.
an alfetta with a perfectly balanced cluctch housing is a beautiful car to drive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts