Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Touching up your old wheels

When I purchased these wheels, they were scuffed up, curb rashed and dirty.

With a little dremel work, brake cleaner solvent and the right paint, you can make them look good again.

The paint is the same paint used on BMW motorcycle air heads. It's heat resistant and very durable. It dries a little bright at first but the color will settle in and look perfect after a week or so. About $30 a can.

I learned the card trick from an old body shop buddy. Takes all of one minute and better than taping....

I didn't do a total redo as I could have filled in, sanded and finished a few pitted spots but it's good enough for what has become my daily driver..

If you need any help, ask!

BEFORE (actually this was after the final clean up, ready to paint. I didn't take the real "before" pictures...)

AFTER

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good, ready to do the same on my 74. You're obviously good with a spray can, I'll be taking mine off the car so I can lay flat to avoid runs.
Believe it or not, it's harder to get a good spray when it's laying flat. The reason is due to the positioning of the rattle can.

Leave the wheel on the car and just do several "dusting" layers. In other words, keep the can at about 12 inches away and LIGHTLY "dust" the wheel with paint. Moving your can around in half moon motions, top first, bottom second.

Do this several times allowing appropriate drying time. If you lay it on too thick, you will get runs. Do not spray from too close ( < 9" ). If you do remove the wheel, keep it straight up.

God luck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Believe it or not, it's harder to get a good spray when it's laying flat. The reason is due to the positioning of the rattle can.

Leave the wheel on the car and just do several "dusting" layers. In other words, keep the can at about 12 inches away and LIGHTLY "dust" the wheel with paint. Moving your can around in half moon motions, top first, bottom second.

Do this several times allowing appropriate drying time. If you lay it on too thick, you will get runs. Do not spray from too close ( < 9" ). If you do remove the wheel, keep it straight up.

God luck.
Took your advise. Happy with the results. Thanks for the tip.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Why am I getting flashbacks from when I was a kid and clipping playing cards on my bike so they would hit the spokes? :thumbup:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Nice job. What did you do to prevent paint getting on the rotor?
Ha, ha, As you can see from the picture,...nothing. I should have stuffed some newspaper back there. It would have saved me the 3 minutes it took to remove the overspray with lacquer thinner...

It wasn't that difficult because the rotor was dirty. The road grime helped keep the overspray from actually adhering to the rotor.

·
Registered
304 Posts
One final thing. Resist the temptation to shoot clear coat over it..you will regret it.[/QUOTE]

Too late on that. Had good results with clear. Used VHT high temp clear wheel paint.

·
Registered
399 Posts
One final thing. Resist the temptation to shoot clear coat over it..you will regret it.
Too late on that. Had good results with clear. Used VHT high temp clear wheel paint.[/QUOTE]

I used VHT high temp clear caliper paint for the spark plug cover on my Fiat but it ended up yellowing after a few weeks. Will strip it off and just keep it bare.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Looks Good! Wish I would have kept the set of phone dials I had bought
Phone dials are unbelievely heavy for an alloy wheel. Made my 88 quad ride like a cattle waggon over rough road surfaces. Replacing them with a set of Superlites was the best investment I made on the quad.

Robert

1 - 19 of 19 Posts