Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

Any advice on getting some touch-up paint (dark green Spider 1991)? I know the stuff at Autozone, etc., probably won't match and I'm just trying to find a brand that will be at least close.

I googled a company called Touchupdirect that has an English Racing Green that looks right, but then they say it's for Alfa models up to 1980. So not sure on that one, either. Can anyone direct me down the right path? Thanks.

·
Administrator
16,387 Posts
IME any paint mixed to match the original paint is not likely to be a perfect match. Over time (your 1991 Spider is ~ 24 years old) paint fades and is exposed to many chemicals (washing. waxing, polishes, environmental, etc) that will make the likelihood an original mix will match.

Best bet is to go to an auto paint supply store and have a small quantity custom mixed. They have portable machines that can 'read' the paint as it currently exists and make a formula that'll be a much better match. I've done this and they can even make a match for paint for the hood and a different mix for paint on the side. (due to the slightly different effect of fading on a horizontal surface vs a vertical surface)

·
Registered
347 Posts
should be a paint sticker under trunk lid. Probably a PPG paint and will have a code number and color name. Might be Verde Inglese. Google that and "touch up paint" and I bet you will find a number of vendors. Of course this assumes you have original paint or an accurate factory color respray.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used to work at a ppg store while I was in college. They will be your best bet. They will be able to look up your color code and tell you what it is. Hell we had all the old original paint books back to the 1930s. They will also be able to determine whether you have single stage or base/clear (most likely single stage if it is original paint) and will sell you the right product. If they are nice they will also be able to tint it one way or another (this is a pain in the butt to do and they are usually not so willing when your buying a couple ounces rather than quarts or gallons)

You would be surprised how far of even new cars are to their paint codes, not factoring in 25+ year old paint.

·
Registered
69 Posts
They have portable machines that can 'read' the paint as it currently exists and make a formula that'll be a much better match.
True, but beware. Having used this little camera contraption a zillion times I will tell you its either dead on, or way off. there doesn't seem to be a middle ground. When you take it in make sure they do it on the flattest panel possible. also, clean and polish a small section first for the camera to get the best reading.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've got touch up paint from automotivetouchup.com for 5 cars, and it's good stuff. Get the smallest size, which is still far more than a lifetime supply. No telling if/how much your paint is faded, so try a small inconspicuous spot before going all-in. Also, you don't need the clear coat they push, as the colors are fully glossy, unlike the base paints used by body shops in a 2-layer paint finish.

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
The paint on the roof and hood of my GTV6 is faded but it is decent on the sides. I will get a good paint job eventually and I have thought about doing the hood & roof with rattle cans as an interim fix. Can anyone give me a good estimate of how many 12 oz cans I will need?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Ed, I'd buy at least 4 cans, mixed at the same time. You want to be able to put on enough coats that you can cut and buff it when you are done.

I'd far prefer to have a couple of extra cans (if things go well you might use it on other blemishes in the paint) then come up short.

·
Premium Member
15,428 Posts
Maybe contact Automotivetouchup.com to ask them how many square feet a coat would cover? Or, ask them how many cans would it take to cover a certain number of square feet per coat.

Then I think you could decide just how many coats you would want to put on to give a decent looking job.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've never used the spray cans from automotivetouchup, but the ones from Tower Paint are about the best I've ever seen, so you might want to check them out. They also have the correct color and sheen Spica Airbox paint formula on file, matched from a sample I sent them maybe a dozen years ago.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Giving your paint a good, thorough, compounding is always a good idea although with older paint oem enamel will brighten up better than two-part and/or metallic lacquers. Paint stores sell "Prevail" (spelling?)
sprayers which are a little better quality sprayers than rattle cans. They are powered by co2 canisters. You mix the paint yourself and use the sprayer. They're good for touch-ups if you're brave. Also, local paint stores will mix colors for your and put them into rattle-cans if you want. Getting a good match is always a crap shoot. I'm a little disappointed that the magic camera doesn't always give a good match. The paint store didn't tell me that. . . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts