Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a good source for touch up paint? I've got a 69 Roundtail in the off-white color. I think its Arvorio. I've somehow gotten a gouge out of the paint at the sill plate and thought I'd try to fix it. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
You have several options, depending on your expectations and how much you are willing to spend. Probably the least expensive option would be to buy touch up paint from one of the local auto parts chains, like Advance or Autozone. You'll likely have to match their paint to your car 'by eye'. There are good video's on YouTube that show how to lightly sand the edge of a chip, clean with alcohol or thinner before touching up, etc.

You can also order touch up paint on eBay or from a place like Dr. Color Chip too but it is hard to believe they can supply a match for your 50+ year old paint. I ordered touch up paint from 'Dr. Color Chip' about 10 years ago for my red '92 164-S and it was not even close; same results for my son's silver WRX. Fortunately the location of your gouge is low below the line of sight. The important thing is to get it painted to prevent rust.

There are services like 'Flying Colors' that specialize in touch up repairs. You may check with a couple of used car dealerships to see if they can recommend a good provider.

Most towns have automotive paint supply stores. They can color match your paint using a spectrophotometer or color meter but their minimum charge usually runs $50 or more.

Lastly and possibly the most expensive would be to take your car to a sympathetic body shop during a slow period for the touch up. Perhaps they would mix up a color matched 'sample' for a reasonable amount. The answer is always 'no' if you don't ask...

Mark

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Remove the scuttle panel and take it to a local automotive paint supply shop. They can scan it and put it in an aerosol can. Some have a minimum of two cans $75-80 total, other shops will mix up one can for ~$40. Call around, same yourself some driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone have a good source for touch up paint? I've got a 69 Roundtail in the off-white color. I think its Arvorio. I've somehow gotten a gouge out of the paint at the sill plate and thought I'd try to fix it. Thanks.
I also have a 69 Roundtail in Avorio. The paint code is AR-103 and I've purchased paint in various forms (pen, bottle, spray) from Automobile Touch Up Paint - Factory Matched Paints - Express Paint

I've had the most success with the 1/2 ounce jar. It's an excellent match on my car.

Also, wet sanding is a must and works wonders on the repair.

Best of luck,
Roger

1 - 5 of 5 Posts