Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going through alot. My Alfa 1986 veloce because of lack of funds has been at my friend's gas station. We can't get the car to run.. Basically we replaced both brains, and many other parts. The car won't turn over

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,455 Posts
Welcome to the BB Steven.

That's not much to go on, I'm afraid. You need fuel, spark, and compression for the car to run. The first step should be figuring out what you don't have.

You also want to make sure you have sufficient voltage. If the voltage drops too much during cranking due to a discharged battery, the fuel injection computer won't activate. If there's any question about this try starting it on jumper cables from a fully charged battery.

·
Administrator
17,713 Posts
Click on the link in my signature for a page of diagnostic info about the L-jetronic system in our cars. (you may need to first click the down arrow to see the whole signature block)

L-jet is a system - all the bits have to work for it to work at all.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Steven I suggest you guys resist the temptation to substitute parts until you have gone through the diagnosis of the L Jet system, as provided by Eric. That gets expensive and frustrating, as you well know! Keep us posted here, and we will help based on the information you provide.

What problem or issue did the car show before it failed to start? Anything at all? How was it running/starting before?

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
The starter does not physically crank the engine over? Charged battery? Check ground strap from battery to chassis, both sides.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Crank sensors that go into the transmission go bad or get dirty/oily over time. Bad ones won't allow car to start.

Dave

·
Registered
406 Posts
If the starter doesn't even work, try messing with the connectors that come off of the ignition, I had one loose in my Alfetta, moved the wire the slightest little bit and the starter immediately worked again. After I found it I tightened up the connector and it's worked every time since. Also make sure all your fuses and relays are good. Simple, I know, but easily overlooked.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Also, make sure the wires are properly connected to the stater if you are not getting any engine turning when you turn the key. The wire to the stater can come loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts