Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I replaced both flywheel sensors, wired in two new female connector pigtails, and then tested the work. Car started, 6 mile test drive all good. Parked in the driveway, gave it a wash, cleaned the windows, vacuumed the floors, checked the oil and brake fluid. Started it back up, threw back the top and started for the beach. 3 or 4 blocks later it just died. Engine stopped, all electrical went dead.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/images/AlfaBB_2015/smilies/tango_face_sad.png

I'm going to look at my shop manual and start figuring out where to start. I hope I didn't fry the ECU or something. Turning the key does nothing - nothing electrical will start up.

Taking any and all advice on how to troubleshoot this. Ideas?

Thanks as always.

Bob

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would start with checking the electrical connections. Battery cables good? Cables from alternator.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I disconnected battery ground when I was working and reconnected it. The connections should be good. I will go back and double check.

BTW - this is an 86 Quad.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Bad day for you, sorry to read this. Have you figured it out?
I like battery cable slipping off, if you don't even get power to gauges.

Does any of the long time Alfisti on here know if it's possible for the ignition switch to have a catastrophic failure like this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you try jumpstarting it? I recently had similar symptoms but hadn't noticed the alternator was not charging. After jumpstarting it, the battery will drain within a couple blocks. Knew then that the alternator was bad .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.