Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If one is going to be buying 1 or 2 torque wrenches for an Alfa Romeo tool box what combination or brands do you recomend?

0 - 20 ft.lbs. 3/8" drive
20 - 100 ft.lbs. 1/2" drive
50 - 150 ft.lbs. 1/2" drive
etc...

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hi Simon

I got my first torque wrench from Harbor Freight for $25, because it is cheap (and I am CHEAP)
First time I used it, it broke, doesn't "CLICK" at all.

I flew to Sears and bought a $70 Torque Wrench - 10 - 75 ft/lb and live happily ever after. And the adjusting the setting is so easy, just turn and lock.

I just went to the www.craftsman.com they're having sale on

Craftsman Microtork® Wrench, 1/2 in. Drive 20-150 ft./lbs.
Sears Item #00944562000
Mfr. Model #44562

only $42.88

WOW
:eek:

I wonder if anything on an Alfa requires a torque wrench less than 20 or more than 150 ft/lbs
Maybe the crank pulley??

·
Registered
615 Posts
Beta Tools!

Here is a link to the US distributor of BETA tools. BETA is an Italian tool maker. Their tools are the best and coolest tools I have ever seen (especially their torque wrenches). Only problem is you might have to take a second mortgage out to by them. Check 'em out anyway.

Garrett

http://www.ggmechanica.com/

http://www.beta-tools.com/

Here is BETA's website with online catalogue.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up going the cheap route. I know there are allot of really high-end torque wrenches but I just couldn’t justify spending the extra cash for a nice one, maybe I would if I were a professional mechanic. The funny thing is that I originally purchased a $70.00 torque wrench and found out that I needed two different sizes 1/2" and 3/8" to cover all of my needs. So it was either buy another one or return the one I had and get the older style ones for $25.00 each and some cash back. The deciding factor for me was that the older style wrenches I purchased had the traditional lifetime guarantee on them while the more expensive ones were only covered for 90 days. Kind of sounded backwards to me. Another deciding factor was that I read that the adjustable or clicking torque wrench was accurate within 2% to 3% of the selected setting. With the older style it is hard to get it right on the money but I was thinking I'd still be within the same range as if I used the more expensive one.

Just call me frugal but I felt like sharing.

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Of the three click type torque wrenches I have, the 3/8" drive 15-75 lb/ft. Snap-On gets BY FAR the most use (like 95%). The 1/2" Craftsman, 30-250 I think, is used primarily on American engines where a torque angle gauge isn't required and the 1/4 drive Snap-On, 10-200 lb/in. is for the small stuff.
I think the click type is much better that the torsion arm type 'cause the torsion type reads different depending on how fast you pull the handle and at what angle you view the scale. The torsion type is, however, is a vast improvement over the method as described in the 1938 Buick service manual which states "tighten the head bolts to a reasonable tightness using a 5/8" wrench that's 11" long".

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Heimeng,
I wonder if you and I are the only Alfa-heads that shop at Harbor Freight. :)

I bought their 1/2" torque wrench and it works fine.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Haha!! :D

67GTV said:
Heimeng,
I wonder if you and I are the only Alfa-heads that shop at Harbor Freight. :)

I bought their 1/2" torque wrench and it works fine.

I think we got the same one. Mine broke the first time I use it. Well, Made in China - what do u expect.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sorry guys, you aren't the only ones shopping at Harbor Freight. I have been there three times in the last two weeks.

They have really great prices on some marginal quality tools, but with as little time that I have to actually work on my cars, the tools don't need to be top quality. Sure the Craftsman tools are guaranteed, but at Harbor freight you can afford to put a lot more tools in your garage for the same money. If they break, you just go back and buy another, and besides, everytime you go there, you find another tool that you NEED.

I bought a pickle fork to seperate a ball joint and have already found two or three other applications. And the price $5.95! Wow!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Rosemead @ Foothill? :D

I've bought three set of Pittsburg (?) wrenches from them already. My friend just keep stealing my wrenches. For $10, i just buy a new set when they take it.

They have a funny smell in the store that kinda makes you buy stuff.

jthraen said:
Sorry guys, you aren't the only ones shopping at Harbor Freight. I have been there three times in the last two weeks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Rosemead at Foothill or is it Foothill at Rosemead?

I am not sure what that smell is, but it works. Sort of like the popcorn smell at K-mart, but yet nothing like that.

Don't go there on a Saturday morning when they are having a tent sale. I waited in line for nearly 30 minutes! Then I came out to a Berlina that did not want to turn over. Then this redneck jumps out of his truck and starts yelling at me because I am in the handicap spot. Needless to say, I was not having fun.

I apologized profusely. I never saw the handicap markings.

I had to take the airbox off and use my new pickle fork to jump the starter. It worked great, and now the starter works fine.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Re: Rosemead at Foothill or is it Foothill at Rosemead?

I went there mostly on weekdays and still always took me 30 mins to check out (with only 3-4 people in line). :confused:

I just wish their customer service is a little bit better and quicker. :D

There was once a F355 there and all the employees went out to see the car. Nobody was at the register. Another 40 minutes wait. :(

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chan,

I bought two different wrenches only because I needed two different torque ranges. One for 0-75ft.lbs. and the other for 0-150ft.lbs. Since I was getting two I got the smaller one with a 3/8" and the larger one with 1/2".

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Yeah HF's not big on customer service. I shop at the Lakewood store. There's a girl there running the register that is so rude.

About their Pittsburgh brand of hand tools, they're supposed to be guaranteed for life. When I asked about the warranty a HF guy said to just bring it back for a replacement. I haven't tested this yet though.

I also have so many HF tools in my garage. Some of which I haven't needed yet. I feel like Tim Allen when I shop there.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Gotcha. :D

Hmmm.... do they have something like 20mm or 30mm drive wrenches?
Or are they all 3/8 or 1/2 drive in other parts of the world even if they use metric (?) system. :confused:

smestas said:
Chan,

I bought two different wrenches only because I needed two different torque ranges.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We used to have a HF shop out here in Santa Clarita but they shut down and moved to Palmdale (1hr away) :(

Now if I want any HF stuff I have to go to their website to make a purchase but they kill you with shipping and handeling so I try to stay away from that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts