410 Posts
Front brake caliper= 54.6 thru 61.2 ft.lb or 74 thru 83 N.M ,
Rear brake caliper= 32.5 thru 39.8 ft lb or 44 thru 54 N.M

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Front brake caliper= 54.6 thru 61.2 ft.lb or 74 thru 83 N.M ,
Rear brake caliper= 32.5 thru 39.8 ft lb or 44 thru 54 N.M
what is your source... since we are not in synch? your number sounds like the caliper BRACKET to the bearing housing not the caliper itself which is 5.5 -6.5KgM or average 6.0=43.4 ft lbs from the factory manual.

·
Registered
410 Posts
States "screws securing rear brake caliper to carrier." Taken from Alfa shop manual. So are they talking the parking brake backing plate/bracket or the axle/bearing housing?

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
info is only as good as its source.. That's why I check and double check even the generic manuals for misprints. I trust the AR manual but didn't know it was there. There is a lot of misinformation on blogs like this. I cringe every time I see it. It's just the nature of the beast. BTW the manual here is from the 115 series Super (1973) which should cover all models on torque. No lashes here and your source had good intentions but missed the right number.

I printed the manual page for future generations who are searching.

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So when they split the calipers they reassembled them with different sides. Now what was the left caliper that had the bleeder on the top now has the bleeder on the bottom. Does swapping them around so the bleeder is on the top matter as long as the pistons have the cut outs oriented correctly and at the correct angle?

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
So when they split the calipers they reassembled them with different sides. Now what was the left caliper that had the bleeder on the top now has the bleeder on the bottom. Does swapping them around so the bleeder is on the top matter as long as the pistons have the cut outs oriented correctly and at the correct angle?
Double check the orientation.. if you are correct send them back. You run a risk of the inside crossover passages not being aligned,,,, I think. Either way, they should make it right.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yep wrong halves reassembled. I wrote down the number of the caliper and what side the came off.
96R came off the left, now back at the car with it on the left the bleeder is on the bottom.
44R came off the right, same story.

No way they would have been working for 40 years with the bleeders on the bottom.

What a pain in the @$$.

·
Administrator
12,590 Posts
Yep wrong halves reassembled. I wrote down the number of the caliper and what side the came off.
96R came off the left, now back at the car with it on the left the bleeder is on the bottom.
44R came off the right, same story.

No way they would have been working for 40 years with the bleeders on the bottom.

What a pain in the @$$.
Install them on the opposites sides. The bleeder will then be at the top. The fact that the left hand caliper is now installed on the right hand side and visa versa does not matter.
Pete

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got them on the car last night, bled them and tested them by rotating them by hand and stopping. Too late for a road test, so I'll do that after work today.

·
Administrator
12,590 Posts
My first thought, but should I be concerned about internal passages not lining up?
Heck if they have not got that aligned then they should not be working on brakes at all.

What I suspect has happened is we are far more concerned about which half goes where and on what side where they understand that it does not matter. Think about it, back when ATE were assembling these calipers they had thousands of halves coming down a production line and they randomly put them together to make a caliper ... as long as the fluid can flow to both sides it does not matter which halves are bolted together.
Pete

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So on the road test i find I have a long pedal and not the same braking performance as I did (owned the car for 22 yrs). I am going to bleed them again, but do you need to adjust the proportioning valve after rebuilding the calipers? I would think not. Hopefully it is just some trapped air.

·
Administrator
12,590 Posts
So on the road test i find I have a long pedal and not the same braking performance as I did (owned the car for 22 yrs). I am going to bleed them again, but do you need to adjust the proportioning valve after rebuilding the calipers? I would think not. Hopefully it is just some trapped air.
Very difficult to bleed I believe. You need to jack the rear up as high as you can unless you have a pressure bleeder.
Pete

1 - 20 of 24 Posts