Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello boys and girls. I would like to throw out this idea. My '91 Spider Veloce is in need of a new top. I am not in a rush to do this since the top is left down for the summer, but fall driving will be here soon. I am wondering if anyone has tried a top with rear window zipper? I had a zipper on my '92 Miata window and I found it great for added ventilation on days where I wanted a little sun protection. It zipped on one side, across the top and down the other side. The bottom edge was fixed and the window dropped down out of the way when unzipped. My understanding is that this is how the Alfa replacement windows sold with a zippered window are set up. Anyway, my main reason for considering this is to save the window from all the flexing and eventual cracking going up and down. I always unzipped the window before I dropped the top on the Miata and the window stayed in nice shape. Thoughts?

Thanks very much.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
I put such a "zip down" window from Accessories convertible top Miata MX-5 Alfa Romeo BMW Ferarri on my 69 Spider a few years ago. It works well on hot sunny days to block some sun but get more ventilation. In slower stop and go traffic the black top still radiates heat and there is minimum ventilation, so you need to be going at least 20 mph to get some effect. The downside is that the window is a bit smaller to get the zipper cover flap around it and there are a few cross wrinkles that I've not had on fixed windows (might be the install). It's just not as tight so as not to stress the zipper. It has not leaked in washing or rainstorms.

·
Registered
what part?
10,910 Posts
don't leave the top dowm all summer.. it will srink!!!! and you will be outside for a few hours soaking it in warm water, over and over agian, as you try to put the top up agian..

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I put such a "zip down" window from Accessories convertible top Miata MX-5 Alfa Romeo BMW Ferarri on my 69 Spider a few years ago. It works well on hot sunny days to block some sun but get more ventilation. In slower stop and go traffic the black top still radiates heat and there is minimum ventilation, so you need to be going at least 20 mph to get some effect. The downside is that the window is a bit smaller to get the zipper cover flap around it and there are a few cross wrinkles that I've not had on fixed windows (might be the install). It's just not as tight so as not to stress the zipper. It has not leaked in washing or rainstorms.
Bruce -
The eensiest, teensiest part of my science education wants to refute your comment. BLACK (while it may be a slower color ;)) does not "radiate" the heat, rather it absorbs the heat. WHITE (recently proven to be a faster color :eek:) does, in fact reflect heat - it is a scientific phenomenon referred to as "albedo" - something you should be aware of, living in Texas and all. Try to lie down on (black) asphalt in the summer and then compare that to the sensation you encounter when you lie down on (white) concrete. :D

·
Registered
974 Posts
I had a 1990 Miata back from 1991 to 1996...loved the car and loved the top. The top was as easy to raise and lower as the Alfa and the latches were easier to engage. As for the zipper window, it was great! The best part to me was the fact that the window could lay flat when the top was down. I don't think you could to that with the Alfa as there is no shelf for the top to lay on when down.

·
Registered
169 Posts
As an old physics minor who has experimented with Alfa tops, I can chime in on the radiance issue. A black top absorbs solar energy, and then radiates it, not least inward. With my Giulia and that theory in mind, I put on a white exterior top, but the only one available was still black inside, and in Wyoming summers the car was still insufferably hot for this driver with his Nordic ancestry, top up or down, when the sun was high in the sky. My current spider, with an all black top, is also too hot in summer on high altitude middays, even though its top is somewhat bleached and dusty with age, and that may help a bit. I’m not surprised to hear that the old Texas 240 air-conditioning works as might be expected with a zip out (i.e., lower two windows and drive 40 mph). Nice to hear that it might be an improvement, though also not surprised to hear the execution isn’t perfect. Moral: keep moving, and looking forward to spring and fall, thinking crepuscular in the interim.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
AS an old physics major who has forgotten more than he learned, I certainly mis-spoke myself being brief and glib. The black top, as you know from your black asphalt, ABSORBS more radiant energy versus reflecting it. But 95% of Alfa convertible tops are black and a few tan so that's the setup. The top then CONDUCTS the heat energy to the other side ( an R1 insulation value), and the inside RADIATES the heat downward onto the occupants on a sunny day. So I was just cutting to the end-point above. As a 36 year spider owner, a Spider with the top up can be more stifling on a hot sunny day especially with its poor ventilation, worse than a GT (at least it has those little vent windows). Stifling is an apropos word. The zip down rear window is an improvement when you are moving but not in stop and go traffic.

There is no parcel shelf and one other problem is that the window hanging down flaps around a bit in the rear at speed and pulls the lower top fabric down a bit. A couple of binder clips to the drape keeps it from flapping. It is a good solution though for hot sunny days with Spiders. PS: the fellow at the top shop says the top may need adjusting (the mounting flange) a bit to eliminate the wrinkles but I have not gotten around to it yet as I rarely have the top up when using it as I do not usually take it out on very hot sunny days. When garaged, as advised, it is always up. When down I fold it over a 3 1/2 foot segment of pool noodle covered with a soft cloth.

·
Registered
9,400 Posts
as someone who never listened to my physics teacher at school, I can catagorically [Edit: Categorically - obviously I didn't listen to my english teacher either!] say that all the little old ladies in Sicily, Sardinia, Calabria and Puglia wear black - and little old ladies not being stupid or anything, must have a reason for it:)
QED

·
Registered
416 Posts
...I am wondering if anyone has tried a top with rear window zipper?...
I bought a top with a zippered rear window from Tops Online. The installation went well and it works very well. I highly recommend it.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
as someone who never listened to my physics teacher at school, I can catagorically [Edit: Categorically - obviously I didn't listen to my english teacher either!] say that all the little old ladies in Sicily, Sardinia, Calabria and Puglia wear black - and little old ladies not being stupid or anything, must have a reason for it:)
QED
Yea, 1000 years of progress unmarred by change. In the hot and humid middle-east women wear head-to-toe black garments with hoods, while the men wear white. Hmmm . . must be a good science-based reason for that.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Yup, time for a new top . . of any sort. I had a VW squareback like that back in the day (next to you). 1500S, tan & red inside. Fine for an overnight surf trip camp out. Fun car. Such memories.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We got the alfa for a $1 dollar and the vw for $250 ish I think . we get crazy deals on cars and we could not be happier . Thinking Zip out window and black cloth so $300 for top easy . Was looking for a deal but I would guess 3 hundred is where the market is . I have installed a couple of MGb and midget tops so this will be new challenge .

·
Registered
398 Posts
Little old ladies in Mediterranean Catholic based countries usually ware black cause they are Widows
In Muslim based countries, I suspect case they are deemed to be inferior and thus must suffer!!
I know about the med....Arabic countries just a theory vs an Alt Fact
P

1 - 14 of 14 Posts