Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the right expert in the SF Bay Area to correctly install the new top on my 69 Spider. Quality work is everything to me. Please advise

·
Registered
1 Posts
69 duetto top

I've done a few of these tops and they are a little more difficult then the 71 and newer. Must check the condition of the frame before starting the job. all the pivot points seem to be worn on the Duettos. It thats time to make it look great. Also use a good quality top.

Jim

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Re: 69 duetto top

jcalfa said:
I've done a few of these tops and they are a little more difficult then the 71 and newer. Must check the condition of the frame before starting the job. all the pivot points seem to be worn on the Duettos. It thats time to make it look great. Also use a good quality top.

Jim
Recommendation for "a good quality top?"

·
Registered
48 Posts
Convertible Top

Make sure to get the cloth type top material. Generally it's called Sun Fast or Stay Fast. This material is far superior than the less expensive vinyl and won't harden up and crack over time. It's also must easier to install. Definitely worth the extra cost.

John
71 Alfa Spider

·
Registered
77 Posts
Top Cables?

Just a question I wondered about for a while.
Where do the cables go on a top.
Mine fits well and works fine even in high wind but I dont seem to have cables of any sort in there.
Cheers
JAck

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The cables go from the front bow, then rearwards behind the top of the side window (to hold the top fabric tight so the window seals well), then inside the frame and out to a stiff spring adjuster. It's in the top installation manual. If you need a copy PM me with an email address capable of receiving a 4mb file.

With regards to the issue of selection of vinyl or fabric, they are both about the same with regards to durability, as the top manufacturers will tell you. Regardless, it's not the fabric that fails first generally, it's the rear window. Cost wise, vinyl is much less. Looks wise, the fabric looks better. For ease of maintenance, I chose vinyl, which is much easier to clean and stays looking good with an application of Mequires' a few times a year. If you live in an area of pines like I do, the inevitable drips of pine sap are easier to clean from vinyl. Installation wise, I think it's pretty much a question of the installer, not the fabric.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts