Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 74 Spyder. I will be starting to take the head off tomorrow and I just want to be 100% correct on finding TDC. I understand the rotor should be pointing at the #1 (front) cylinder. The metal strip on the rotor will be my pointer.
The timing pointer should be aligned with the mark next to the P, not the actual P, correct? Any other tips?
And thanks to everyone that posted previous info for this project. I built my head lift off handle today. Great stuff! Much appreciated.
John

·
Super Moderator
11,219 Posts
I have a 74 Spyder. I will be starting to take the head off tomorrow and I just want to be 100% correct on finding TDC. I understand the rotor should be pointing at the #1 (front) cylinder. The metal strip on the rotor will be my pointer.
John:

One clarification. The rotor should be pointing at whichever distributor contact that the #1 plug wire is connected to. That should be the one at the front, yes. However, if your engine has been disassembled, and the oil pump installed in the wrong orientation, #1 might fire when the rotor is pointing up, down, or toward the rear.

A better thing to key off is the position of the cams: the lobes for #1 cylinder will both be pointing outward at TDC. That is, #1 lobe for the exhaust cam should point left, #1 for intake should point right (as viewed by the driver).

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jay, that helps.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,560 Posts
The "P" is TDC not the one next to it, and yes have the cam lobes pointing out on #1. The cams should be at their marks with the crank at "P"

btw, the bottom exhaust manifold nut on #4 is best reached from underneath with a long extension and a knukle on the 13mm socket. If you are SPICA make sure you put all the bracing back on the injector tubing. Not to say you wouldn't but I've seen way to many that had been left off not to mention it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts