Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When installing my rebuilt front suspension I think I've cracked the code to installing new top bump stops. It's always given me fits so I thought I'd pass along my new method.
Heat the new stop in boiling water...ok everyone does that but then take a small hose clamp and put it around the tit and tighten. It will squeeze down smaller than the square hole it goes in. Then freeze it. I was prepared to use dry ice but tried the freezer first. Remove the hose clamp and the lubricated bumper will tap in with a hammer. Done. I suspect this will also work on the bumper guards as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
WoW! Innovative!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Dang, thanks. I usually ended up trimming them down a bit and lubing with water soluble lubricant. Great tip!

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I've always screwed up a couple of valve guide seals putting them in too. I boiled some water and heated them up in the hot water and they all went on with the first try s well.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Arrrrg. Wish I'd done a search and read this earlier. Just broke off the screw on the bottom bump stop, trying to remove it in hopes of getting a c-clamp or something in there to help install the top bump stop. Once I repair that collateral damage, I'll try this technique. Ingenious!

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Ha! I'd rather be lucky than good. I've spent the last couple of days researching heli-coil vs timesert, trying to find a source with quickest delivery and least potential COVID exposure, etc., etc., So starting going through my very random cutting tool collection looking for the right size drill bit for the heli-coil, and whadayaknow, found an M8 1.25 tap that I have no memory of buying. So what the heck, what could possibly go wrong? (Plenty, could break the tap off and be totally scr*wed.) I starting drilling the stud with the more-or-less correct tap drill size, and lo and behold, the broken-off stud comes out cleanly leaving the old threads intact. A quick clean-up pass with the tap, and the lower bump stop is back in (it had unscrewed about 10 mm before breaking off, leaving enough thread to work with). Now the upper bump stops are in the freezer "bound and gagged," awaiting re-installation later tonight.

The freezing technique reminds me of a lesson from a long-ago career as a junior machinist: One of the old guys said that in order to machine rubber, you need to freeze it first. Otherwise it just runs away from the cutting tool.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Just to close the loop, got the upper bump stops back in, but I'm not sure how much the freezing method helped. I ended up having to trim a little from two sides of the pointy part and use some grease and a moderate amount of cursing. Maybe I didn't leave them in the freezer long enough? I think they were in about 6 hours. Anyway all good now. On to the next thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts