Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you like to check out the cars for sale on Ebay, I'm sure you've seen a couple of these ones! Feel free to add your own!

10. Top has a hole in it but who puts it up in these type of cars anyway?

9. Second gear crunches a little but all Alpha Romeros do that

8. Tires have 70% tread left

7. Odometer has not been working but I've only driven the car 2000 miles since. A quick fix, new cable included with sale. (Also tied with this one is for the 164: "stepper motor broken but should be easy to fix")

6. 20 Year-Old paint looks great, except for a few small dings and chips

5. ALL ORIGINAL (seller means hoses, brake pads, transmission fliud, oil filter, etc.)

4. I've spent over $10,000 on this car and receipts are included...LOW RESERVE

3. Radio doesn't work but real Alpha Romero drivers just listen to the exhaust note

2. Recently rebuilt engine

1. The car is from California so it has NO RUST!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Funny stuff there Rob!

I actually used No. 3 when I sold my Spider. :eek: Even though I did not mention it, No. 1 was true for mine.

What about the following lines?

"I lost interest in this project so I have decided to sell"
"car is 99% complete"
"I have too many toys and my wife says this has to go"

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hmmmm. Not sure whether to be offended or not...I used the one about the exhaust note on my Ebay Spider just last week. In actuality, neither of my Spiders has a functional radio, and I really DON'T care. I like the sound of the engine. Radio is really pretty much an onslaught of commercials these days anyway.
BTW, Spider only got up to $2605 and did not sell. Maybe I should try more of these hot "lines".

·
Registered
164 Posts
You caught me on the 70% tread life and the synchro issue, but at least I didn't spell it 'Romero'! (I hope that was intentional)

Actually I search for 'Alpha' and 'Romero' all of the time. It is amazing how often these are misspelled!

My GTV6 auction ends tomorrow. It looks like I will be bringing it to Fuddruckers, since there are no serious bidders.

My GTV6 on eBay

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My GTV, while it was on eBay had -

My GTV on eBay

4. I've spent over $10,000 on this car and receipts are included...LOW RESERVE

8. Tires have 70% tread left
-------
The PO before the PO spent a lot of money on the car, with all the receipts! But the PO had nothing to prove his $2500 investment.

How come it's always 70%? Why not 60%? Well, turn out my tires actually has at least 85% left. Which is a pain since that tire sxxks. And I don't want to put some new tires on until I have some extra cash. :(

At least the seller mentioned the leaking head gasket. ;) And it turns out the car is much better than I think it is.
Thank you Orion!!

------------
Jeff - hope your GTV6 will find a good loving home.
Your GTV6 is the BEST GTV6 I've ever seen. The pictures on eBay doesn't tell half of the story. :D

Only if I have a job and a garage right now... :(

·
Registered
158 Posts
There's an '82 Spider on Ebay, "1 owner" car, and the guy says something like, " chance to own a piece of BRITISH car history" I guess it could be a typo, but how could you own a car for 21 years and not wonder why the Brits are speaking Italian.

My other favorite is the "my wife says it has to go" come on....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't take offense guys...just having fun! When you sell a car there's only so many things you can say....its just funny to see the same ones a lot, though!

·
Registered
203 Posts
It's funny I hear the line, " I used to have one of those... but then I got married. " Or some such variation. Now, I cannot imagine what in the world they were thinking when they were asked to get rid of the car or even considered it and why in the world would you tell someone to get rid of their car?? Jealousy? of a car??

Now when I had my boat I remember talking to a couple who had a BEAUTIFUL huge wooden sailboat. Well, it was HIS actually and his pride and joy. His wife told me he spent all winter working on this or that so that each spring the boat was better than ever. She then said,"I've always had the good sense to never ask him which he loves more, me or the boat, I know I wouldn't like the answer." She was a very smart woman.

Keep the car, and find a wife who likes cars :D

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Wife's and Alfas, I know that one well. My wife who's Japanese, had no understanding for why I loved these noisy cars. I had a Spider and a rusted out GTV stored in a garage. Unfortunately with her bad back and fear of driving recklessly, she does not enjoy riding in one. I've tried several times to get her behind the wheel, but no dice.

I took her to the Alfa convention last year and we met a woman from Japan named Teruko Inuoe. She is a relatively famous Alfisti in Japan. She owns an Alfa shop, about a dozen Alfas and even races them. My wife and Teruko spoke for a few hours while I drooled all over the GTV's. Thanks to Teruko's explanation of the "Alfa Disease" my wife has a little more understanding of my plight.

We sold my Spider, bought my white GTV and sold the rusty project. I am now in the process of selling off all the parts I accumulated for that project.

A few months ago my wife and I were discussing our finances and future plans when she asked me the dreaded question, "what if you have to sell the Alfa?" My heart stopped and I froze in my tracks. I then recovered with, "sweetheart, it'll never come to that." Sheesh!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
67GTV said:
"what if you have to sell the Alfa?" My heart stopped and I froze in my tracks. I then recovered with, "sweetheart, it'll never come to that." Sheesh!
"We will sell the Accord!!!"

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
and get a KIA :D

Sniady said:
"We will sell the Accord!!!"
As far as I know, there is a HUGE following in Japan of Alfas, especially step nose GTA and GTVs.

When I saved enough $$, my Alfa is going to be painted by a Japanese guy (one man operation body shop.) Whose shop probably restored a lot of classic car that was bought in CA and selling in Japan.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hahaha! I'll tell her you said that Sniady!

Japanese Alfisti tend to be fanatical about thier Alfas. Years ago a friend and I started working on shipping Alfas to Japan to sell. We saw many GTV's selling for $25k to $30K over there! Then their economy took a dump.

At my last company I saw a lot of collector cars going to Japan still. Some weirdo over there purchased and shipped over a Ferrari (forget the model, mid 60's, 12 cylinder coupe), two Morgans and an Austin Healey. The Japanese company that found the cars and fixed them up did so to the new owners specs. Here's the weird part, all four cars were painted black with bright red interiors. Everything inside was red, seats, carpets, door panels and head liners. Blyack! That was just the wrong thing to do to that Ferrari.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I remember seeing a 69GTV with no brake boosters,
and the seller claiming that they removed because
the braking system is so good they are not needed:rolleyes:

Maybe the guy is a word class weight lifter that
can squat 1000lbs, cause when my brake booster went
out, it took some real pedal effort to stop my ALfa,
My left leg was sore after each drive:D

The thing I hate about trying to buy on E-bay,
is that seller will often end an auction early to
sell the car to someone with cash then and there.
This happened to me, I was bidding on a car in the
SF area, and the guy suddenly ended the auction,
I E-mailed him, and he said he sold the car for $6K,
he was pretty upset with himself when I told him I
set my high bid to $7K, dumb ***:D

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
regarding post #6 above....

The lawyer (yes, but I didn't believe him) who sold me my '79 Spider gave wifely reasons for selling it. He wanted to have a convertible, she wanted more than two seats, so they had bought a Chrysler 4-or-so-seat convertible and it had displaced the Alfa from its dry home. I keep it in the garage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wife and toys

I knew I married the right lady , when our house was costing much more to build than anticipated, I told her that we might have to sell the Spider and the Harley if she really wanted those granite countertops, hot tub, etc. She decided on formica and sponge baths without missing a beat. Needless to say, we all got what we wanted. By the way shes from Sorrento.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have to give the award to Roadtrip with...

"The car has not been started in 15 years, engine ran well before it was stored."

1 - 20 of 36 Posts