Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
We need pictures of the car first. No pictures and Eric will freak out completely. Then we spend all of our time talking him back from the edge......

There is a full Spica guide in the carb section.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
PM me an email address and I'll email you some Spica tech items that will help you understand the system and tune it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Something to check

My 79 spider with Spica would not pass smog because it was way too rich
and I did all the things mentioned in the Spica guide and I tried everything in the book. After many frustrating tries I took it to the great Alfa wrench
Glen Olivera at Olivera Engineering after a couple of days of head scratching he found a sticky Cold start solonoid. The way it works is that the selonoid pushes a rack that enriches the mixture during a cold start and then as the oil warms up draws the rack back to lean the mixture.
If the selonoid does not do this it pushes the rack to max rich mixture and leaves it there and everything you do to lean it out is no good. Turns out this is fairly common and hard to figure out. But it is easy to fix.My car which was horrible with this problem turned into the jewel I wanted after it was fixed. If you need more info PM me
jim

·
Registered
194 Posts
FYI: Same issue on my 88 Graduate...Same fix...I kinda stubled on it figuring that the richness was from the cold start valve...AND...I had a 'Lean' problem a while back...Corrected by replacing the 4 sleeves on the air intakes...2 had hairline cracks and leaked air...causing problems...Matter of fact, the car wouldn't go faster than 60 MPH.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excuse my innocence, but I don't see a cold start valve on my fuel diagram. Does it have another name?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
FYI: Same issue on my 88 Graduate...Same fix...I kinda stubled on it figuring that the richness was from the cold start valve...AND...I had a 'Lean' problem a while back...Corrected by replacing the 4 sleeves on the air intakes...2 had hairline cracks and leaked air...causing problems...Matter of fact, the car wouldn't go faster than 60 MPH.
Excuse my innocence, but I don't see a cold start valve on my fuel diagram. Does it have another name?

An '88 has a completely different injection system than your '79 so if you are looking for a cold start valve ,you don't have one, but you do have a cold start solenoid .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts