Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it have to do with ride height?
Anyone else has the feeling that at 100+ mph you feel too light?
I mean I'm running 225 supersoft. The car does not sway or anything but the steering scares me a bit. Specially at those speeds in NJ highways.
I can't rember my 75 doing that.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Mines ok up there but it’s been over lowered in the front so has a lot of castor.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But should it do that at stock height and suspension?
Could the ride height allow too much air creating a bit of lift? Or am I overthinking this.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
i had a 76 alfetta gtv stock it would run out of steam at 110 ,115 but it felt rock steady on the garden state pkway, had a nice race against a bmw 320i it was neck and neck for miles great fun with ur gtv6 should do 125,130 and feel solid at those speeds

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had a 76 alfetta gtv stock it would run out of steam at 110 ,115 but it felt rock steady on the garden state pkway, had a nice race against a bmw 320i it was neck and neck for miles great fun with ur gtv6 should do 125,130 and feel solid at those speeds
That's what I thought. It has original shocks still. 3 mechanics said they are still good, but with this behavior I'm starting to doubt. Bu then again shocks wouldn't matter much. Unless rebounding from a bump. Could torsion be adjusted stiffer or they have to be changed?
Seen a lot of upgrades on those but never a tune to stiffer or softer.

·
Registered
457 Posts
You were racing on the street? And you admit to it?
Geez...

·
Administrator
12,918 Posts
Nothing to do with car weight. I'd look at your shocks and front/rear ride height ... but the faster you go the more sensitive you need to be.

Pete

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

When I first got my '81 GTV6, it was still at the stock US ride height in the front, and the original rear springs are likely sagging a bit, so it actually had a bit of a "nose-up" attitude. I lowered the front to the mythical "European" ride height and it sits level.

Do you have any wear/play in any of your suspension bushings/ball joints/wheel bearings/tie rods, and have you checked your wheel alignment lately? The factory Alfa specs call for toe-out in the front, which is presumably to enhance turn-in, but is otherwise ***-backwards because it has positive scrub radius, which already causes the front wheels to toe out as the car travels down the road! A slight amount of toe-in enhances stability at speed.

On my car, lowering the front end resulted in -1.5 degrees of static camber per side, which sounds excessive but was actually OK by me. I dialed in a slight amount of front toe-in (only about 0.05 degrees per side), which counteracts the natural toe-out and prevents excessive inner-edge tire wear (which is caused much more by toe-out than by negative camber).

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
My car is set up like CDA’s. Rock solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
12,918 Posts
In my dim distance past I can remember my 1750GTV being as stable as at 100 mph ... and only turning 4500rpm in 5th. Not that it would go much faster though as her engine was not in full health. My 156v6 at 200 km/h is dead boring, wind noise is starting to become excessive, but otherwise no different to 100 km/h.

My father's Jensen Interceptor was most exciting over 100 mph, as not only did you have to have a petrol station in mind, it also while happy at that speed, required concentration slowing down as as the nose dropped she would wander a bit ... needed new front shocks

****, I want to go for a blast now :)
Pete

Reactions: cda951

·
Premium Member
16,073 Posts
"but the steering scares me a bit"

All street cars do develop lift at speed, some worse than others, depending on the body shape and height of the front compared to the rear. I always prefer a slight nose down tail up attitude to decrease the lift in the front a little. This also tends to reduce vehicle drag just a little.

However, as a first step, check the tire pressures, front and rear. Pay attention to what Alfa calls for for fast driving. If the steering is a little squirrely, either decrease the pressures in the front a little, or increase the pressures in the rear. Try a couple of psi at a time. My 86 GTV6 was very steady at 100+mph, with no undue sensitivity in the steering, running the stock size tires and even pressures. Adjusting the tire pressures front to rear could make the high speed handling feel change. One person I knew (who did race in F1 many years ago when private teams could enter) told me that he did prefer the same pressures front and rear for the Alfetta chassis design, and I feel that the GTV6 and Milano would basically be the same. He said this provided more apparent stability at speed, lessening the feel of oversteer, which does increase with an increase in speed.

Also, check the caster of the front suspension. Too little caster makes the steering feel very light. In the case of our 78 Alfetta sedan, we had to decrease the amount of caster, as the steering feel was way too heavy, way beyond spec, causing the original owner to want to sell it to us. Reducing the caster did lighten the steering enough so you could actually park the car, lol. Yet we didn't go so far as to make the steering twitchy at high speed (such as you could get in an Alfetta, lol).

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I think any car with a nose up stance will feel light at speed, it’s like sticking your hand out the window of a moving car, when level with ground just kind of cuts through the air, angle the front of your hand slightly upwards, and you get lift, same thing with a car, only on a grander scale.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"but the steering scares me a bit"

All street cars do develop lift at speed, some worse than others, depending on the body shape and height of the front compared to the rear. I always prefer a slight nose down tail up attitude to decrease the lift in the front a little. This also tends to reduce vehicle drag just a little.

However, as a first step, check the tire pressures, front and rear. Pay attention to what Alfa calls for for fast driving. If the steering is a little squirrely, either decrease the pressures in the front a little, or increase the pressures in the rear. Try a couple of psi at a time. My 86 GTV6 was very steady at 100+mph, with no undue sensitivity in the steering, running the stock size tires and even pressures. Adjusting the tire pressures front to rear could make the high speed handling feel change. One person I knew (who did race in F1 many years ago when private teams could enter) told me that he did prefer the same pressures front and rear for the Alfetta chassis design, and I feel that the GTV6 and Milano would basically be the same. He said this provided more apparent stability at speed, lessening the feel of oversteer, which does increase with an increase in speed.

Also, check the caster of the front suspension. Too little caster makes the steering feel very light. In the case of our 78 Alfetta sedan, we had to decrease the amount of caster, as the steering feel was way too heavy, way beyond spec, causing the original owner to want to sell it to us. Reducing the caster did lighten the steering enough so you could actually park the car, lol. Yet we didn't go so far as to make the steering twitchy at high speed (such as you could get in an Alfetta, lol).
The lift is what i expected. I never thought it would feel as much as that.
Tire pressures are about 1 lb over. like i said 225 to maneuver is not easy. so that extra lb does help. Still an elephant although. Squirrely it's the perfect word. Nervous steering.
Recently bushings, rods and rims were all replaced as new. I would consider the european ride height, although i am not sure my wheels will allow much fiddling.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That being said, can you point me in the ride height post? I'm sure there's one but i can't find it. Or should i go to Greg page?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Funny you bring this up, i took my 2 litre gtv for a run today and hit about 150kph and the old girl gets a bit squirrelly that's with new shocks, new Ball joints and all new bushes in the suspension, it feels like the tyres are losing contact with the road, it certainly wake's you up.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Funny you bring this up, i took my 2 litre gtv for a run today and hit about 150kph and the old girl gets a bit squirrelly that's with new shocks, new Ball joints and all new bushes in the suspension, it feels like the tyres are losing contact with the road, it certainly wake's you up.
Doesn't it? Raises your arm hair.
Mine is a bit progressive. You start feeling it at 90 mph but you have that hoovering feeling at 100mph. This is all allegedly. Lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
Exactly we haven't got the 5th amendment in Australia so I won't incriminate myself but I'm not sure why the front end gets lighter and more skittish the faster you go, allegedly.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts