Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least in my Nuova Super, the three toggle switches are in the center console below shift lever. The holes have one side cut straight instead of round and there is a matching flat area on each switch. I thought this was to make them all in the “OFF” position, sitting the same way.

But my wipers are OFF flipped downward, the dash lights are OFF flipped downward, but the heater blower seems to be OFF flipped upward. I verified the color of the wires are attached to the correct numbered post, according to the wiring diagram. They appear correctly attached to the numbered posts on the switch.

Is that just the way Alfa did it, or is the blower switch maybe not original …….. and it was intended to sit differently for whatever car it belongs to?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,620 Posts
On my '74 the wiper & fan are both up = off, which is what the manual shows for both the GTV and the Berlina.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
This one stumped me as well when I was finishing off my console, so I thought to make the "OFF" position down ward. However after comments from others that I had them wrong....I decided to check the owners manual and sales brochures.....and sure enough they are pointing up in those. So next time I need to pull out the center console....I'll switch them back over to the up position.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nuova is definitely up/forward = off ...
Thanks ............ next question:, which of these is correct order: OFF - fast speed - slow speed, or OFF - slow speed - fast speed
The wipers are OFF-slow-fast ............... the blower appears to be attempting the opposite OFF-fast-slow since the wiring diagram has the dash warning light connected to terminal #4 instead of terminal #1. I am becoming very suspicious that the wiring diagram has reversed the wires to terminal #1 and #4

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,620 Posts
Mine both go off-fast-slow from top to bottom (although technically the wipers are off-slow-slower, I guess)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for clarifying ......... but it now causes another question ............. does your dash warning light only light up on fast speed? That is the way this one is working.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,620 Posts
Should light up bright on high, dim on low. Here's the wiring setup for my '74, the second yellow-black wire goes to the dash light.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gubi ....... that is the same as the 76 Nuova diagram.
I don't actually have the black wire going to "8" .......... but I don't see why there would be a ground wire to "8" ......... at no position of the switch it "8" ever electrically connected to 1,4, or 6 (testing with ohm meter with switch out of car). ............ and it wouldn't make sense, since that would be connecting 12 volt hot to ground ........ creating a short circuit.

I now see what I did not see before ............... with a totally dark room the dash warning light "glows" in the slow speed. The motor is also running, but you can only tell it I hold my hand at the outlet ... and feel carefully for the slight breeze. The "glow" occurs because 5.5 volts is feed back through the yellow-black (fast) wire when the yellow (slow) wire is providing 12 volts to blower motor. Maybe the motor internal slow speed resistor or 2nd winding is providing excessive resistance, but not worth the job of taking out the heater to see if anything can be done. Too bad the fast speed is so noisy. I diagrams what I found.

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,620 Posts
Yeah, I wondered about that ground wire too, it shouldn't be used for anything. May be an error in the factory or Papajam's wiring diagrams. Nice writeup you did.

On my '91 the fan isn't too loud in either setting. The fan motor in my GTV was frozen when I got it, so I got a new replacement assembly from Classic Alfa. This one sounds like it works like yours: it's quiet on low but doesn't produce very much air flow at all. On high its quite loud, but also very powerful...a lot more so than the stock blower in my '91.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for answering all my questions, don't know if I would have figured it out without the help.

Alfa had a lot of great engineers, but once in awhile ............ they screw up like everybody else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts