Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1968 boat-tail 1750 veloce spider, which I'm restoring. It is a right hand drive car, originally delivered to South Africa.

My car has one of the three switches on the dashboard wired up to spray water onto the windscreen. In all the literature and photos that I can find I only ever see a foot operated pump switch for this function, with the dashboard switches being for fan, wipers and light. My car does not have a foot operated unit installed.

Does anyone know whether this configuration ever came from the factory for RHD 1750 spiders, or is this something that was modified at some stage of the car's past ownership? I suspect the latter but keen to tap into the knowledge within the forum.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
10,612 Posts
I'm certainly no expert on right hand drive Alfas, originally delivered to South Africa. But my strong guess would be that it was modified at some stage of the car's past ownership. Be thankful that the PO didn't drill a fourth switch hole in the dash!

Substituting an electrical pump was a common fix when the foot-operated bellows wore out. One clue would be the type of electric pump installed and how it was installed. If you find a Chinese-built pump attached to the firewall with tiewraps and wired with lamp cord, that's a give-away that it's an amateur installation.

Another clue would be the wiring harness in the vicinity of the old foot-operated switch. Are there still four wires down there? If so, two of them should be jumpered together for proper WW motor operation. If it were my car, I'd re-install the foot switch - I find them pretty handy, even when the bellows aren't working.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm certainly no expert on right hand drive Alfas, originally delivered to South Africa. But my strong guess would be that it was modified at some stage of the car's past ownership. Be thankful that the PO didn't drill a fourth switch hole in the dash!

The foot-operated bellows would wear out, so substituting an electrical pump was a common fix. One clue would be the type of electric pump installed and how it was installed. If you find a Chinese-built pump attached to the firewall with tiewraps and wired with lamp cord, that's a give-away that it's an amateur installation.

Thanks Jay,

It certainly wouldn't be the first modification I've come across. You should see some of the creative fasteners that were used....

Determining the type of pump installed is a good call. I'll check it out when I'm back with the car.

Cheers,

Angelo

·
Premium Member
14,012 Posts
The foot pump has two switches:
a normally closed that opens when you pump. This has a pair of blue white wires that disable the parking function of the wiper motor.
A normally open that closes when you pump and puts 12V to the fast connection of the wiper motor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The foot pump has two switches:
a normally closed that opens when you pump. This has a pair of blue white wires that disable the parking function of the wiper motor.
A normally open that closes when you pump and puts 12V to the fast connection of the wiper motor.

Thanks Ed. Seems as I suspected that I need to source a foot pump and re-do the wiring in order to bring it back to original.

Cheers,

Angelo

·
Premium Member
14,012 Posts
I once made a foot pump replacement with a relay and electric pump on a plate that fit where the pump used to be. It used the existing wiring and tubing and could have been converted back to original. It worked fine until the car was totaled.

·
Super Moderator
10,612 Posts
Seems as I suspected that I need to source a foot pump and re-do the wiring in order to bring it back to original.
Classic Alfa sells replacement pumps - see: WI017 WINDSCREEN WASHER FOOT PUMP

A used pump from ebay or wherever will probably work OK electrically, but no longer pump washer fluid. As I think I wrote earlier, just the ability to get one or two swipes with the wiper without taking your hands off the wheel is pretty valuable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I once made a foot pump replacement with a relay and electric pump on a plate that fit where the pump used to be. It used the existing wiring and tubing and could have been converted back to original. It worked fine until the car was totaled.
Neat idea! Thanks for the tip, although I might try to go original given the other work I'm doing on the car. Gutted to read yours was totalled.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Classic Alfa sells replacement pumps - see: WI017 WINDSCREEN WASHER FOOT PUMP

A used pump from ebay or wherever will probably work OK electrically, but no longer pump washer fluid. As I think I wrote earlier, just the ability to get one or two swipes with the wiper without taking your hands off the wheel is pretty valuable.

Thanks Jay. I noticed that part on their catalogue. I think I'll go ahead with that option. Thanks for the tips. The range of knowledge and willingness to help on this forum is awesome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts