Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to make toe-in adjustments at home by just using a ruler and be within reasonable specs?
The figures are in the owner's manual and seems the measurements are primarily in inches/mm, rather than degrees.
Also, the manual says that all fluids should be topped off and there should be 310 pounds of equivalent passenger weight in the car. Do alignment shops actually put weights in the car?
Just curious,

Val in FL

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I gave this a try after replacing a couple of tierods, but eventually ended up taking it to my friendly neighborhood Alfa shop. Papajam published a DIY procedure somewhere here on the board, but I imagine it takes a bit of experience and practice to get a decent result.

-Jason

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Yes, it's possible. Please see this thread for detailed instructions. This method is not a sustitute for a laser alignment but it'll get you pretty darn close.
None of the alignment shops I've gone to add weight to the vehicle. However, I insist that I be allowed to sit in the vehicle during the alignment. I explain that because of the precision of the Alfa steering and suspension, an alignment without the weight of the driver could result in a comeback.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I gave this a try after replacing a couple of tierods, but eventually ended up taking it to my friendly neighborhood Alfa shop. Papajam published a DIY procedure somewhere here on the board, but I imagine it takes a bit of experience and practice to get a decent result.

-Jason

Yes, it's possible. Please see this thread for detailed instructions. This method is not a sustitute for a laser alignment but it'll get you pretty darn close.
None of the alignment shops I've gone to add weight to the vehicle. However, I insist that I be allowed to sit in the vehicle during the alignment. I explain that because of the precision of the Alfa steering and suspension, an alignment without the weight of the driver could result in a comeback.

Thanks, guys!
My front wheels are wearing out evenly, and I have not detected any problems while driving, other than my steering wheel top spokes being slightly off-center. However, a coworker who followed me in his car told me that my Spider was not tracking completely straight, (slightly "crabbing" to one side)and that my off- center steering wheel means I should have my alignment checked.
Now, I assume that all the wheels must be completely off the ground for the adjustments to be made, since the wheels need to be on and you can't get to the tie rod ends with the car on the ground.
Also, I may have to do the procedure myself according to papajam's instructions, since there are no Alfa shops where I live. Is ANY alignment shop capable to this properly if I give them these instructions?

Val in FL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts