Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1974 GTV 2000
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day has finally come! The first day in over 6 years that I got to drive my car! It has been a long, tumultuous journey with many, MANY issues along the way but I am finally close to the light at the end of the tunnel! In the end, I had Benny at John's Alfa Romance here in LA do much of the final mechanical assembly (install the engine/trans, connect all the wiring and get it running and sort the brakes) and today I drove her home. Ahh it feels good!

Now for a few more random questions!

-How do I get the scuttle panel on? Bolt it on and then peel back the rubber windshield molding after?

-I understand I have to re-torque the head bolts after breaking in the engine, at how many miles should I be doing this and what torque?

-My rearview mirror consists of just the arm and the plastic outer housing. I have ordered the mirror and glass from Mr. Fiat but I think I am missing the little switch to "flip" the mirror, does anyone have an exploded view of the mirror?

-I seem to have lost one of the pins for my hood hinges, does anyone know what is the correct size? I am just using a screw temporarily

Thanks everyone! I could not have done any of this without the help and support of this forum!

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Looking nice...congrats on having the patience to see it through to this point! The scuttle panel should have 2 tabs at either end that need to slide under between the window rubber and the window structure. In this photo you see were the tab needs to sit on top of the structure.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

Mirror wise....I have the following photos of just the internal bits.
Road surface Wood Asphalt Gas Tints and shades

Road surface Asphalt Wood Brick Orange

I should be able to dig out a spare mirror and take a few more pics showing the plastic housing and plastic flipper.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
RE head torque: Once on initial assembly, once after first warmup to operating temp, again after 100 and 500 miles seems like a reasonable guideline. If they moved a decent bit after 500, it will be worth checking again and retorquing again if they still need to rotate to hit torque. There's some amount of debate on torque settings (some advocate for higher):

head bolts torque spec | Alfa Romeo Forums (alfabb.com)

·
Registered
1974 GTV 2000
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all! The color is actually a Porsche color, "Liquid Silver" from the 918 Spyder. I always loved silver on brown, but found the regular Alfa silver a bit too boring.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Re the Scuttle, carefully slide the 2 tabs under the rubber gasket then use a soft tool to ease the rest under the rubber, then screw it down.

k

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Re the mirror, there are different designs. see

ken

Reactions: BH Classics

·
Registered
1974 GTV 2000
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re the Scuttle, carefully slide the 2 tabs under the rubber gasket then use a soft tool to ease the rest under the rubber, then screw it down.

k
Thanks! Although I just looked at my scuttle and the two tabs are missing....body shop must have cut them off lol.....so I guess I can just force it, hopefully the rubber will just hold it down

·
Registered
1974 GTV 2000
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RE head torque: Once on initial assembly, once after first warmup to operating temp, again after 100 and 500 miles seems like a reasonable guideline. If they moved a decent bit after 500, it will be worth checking again and retorquing again if they still need to rotate to hit torque. There's some amount of debate on torque settings (some advocate for higher):

head bolts torque spec | Alfa Romeo Forums (alfabb.com)
Oh wow interesting! So the engine has been warmed up and cooled off maybe 4 or 5 times (mechanic when he got it running, tuned the carbs etc, and then I took a 15 min drive home). I hope I didnt mess anything up by doing this, but should I just warm it up again and start from there?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Oh wow interesting! So the engine has been warmed up and cooled off maybe 4 or 5 times (mechanic when he got it running, tuned the carbs etc, and then I took a 15 min drive home). I hope I didnt mess anything up by doing this, but should I just warm it up again and start from there?
No, you didn't mess anything up (as long as the head gasket didn't blow!). I'd just warm it up and try a re-torque then. Make sure you use the recommended tightening pattern.

·
Registered
1974 GTV 2000
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, you didn't mess anything up (as long as the head gasket didn't blow!). I'd just warm it up and try a re-torque then. Make sure you use the recommended tightening pattern.
Sorry I've been reading about this whole torque process for an hour and am still a bit confused. So I gathered I should warm up the engine, then, IN SEQUENCE, remove each bolt, oil it and then torque to 58 ft-lbs. Then the next day after the car is cool, repeat the process but torque to 65, is that correct?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Sorry I've been reading about this whole torque process for an hour and am still a bit confused. So I gathered I should warm up the engine, then, IN SEQUENCE, remove each bolt, oil it and then torque to 58 ft-lbs. Then the next day after the car is cool, repeat the process but torque to 65, is that correct?
There are various reccomended methods. I personally don’t remove and relube.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Looks great.

I'm not saying anything about retorquing as I've never heard of retorquing an alloy head when hot
Pete
Not sure specifically about hot/cold (though others more expert than me insist hot), but my head nuts definely loosened on heat cycles.

·
Registered
1974 GTV 2000
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are various reccomended methods. I personally don’t remove and relube.
So loosen a bit and re-torque? Or just slap on the torque wrench and just torque it? sorry this is all scaring me a bit with my brand newly rebuilt engine!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
So loosen a bit and re-torque? Or just slap on the torque wrench and just torque it? sorry this is all scaring me a bit with my brand newly rebuilt engine!
I just torqued it. If the nut doesn’t move before it hits torque, then it doesn’t move- no problem. Just need to use a smooth motion and stop when the torque wrench clicks/beeps (whatever your torque wrench does). You are not going to hurt anything unless you just he-man it and go till the stud snaps or something.

·
Registered
1974 GTV 2000
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK I just torqued the cold engine to 65, seemed like it was already at 65, because it barely turned

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
OK I just torqued the cold engine to 65, seemed like it was already at 65, because it barely turned
Follow the TSB…

1 - 20 of 50 Posts