Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I need assistance with a moral and philosophical dilemma.
I have a 1987 Alfa Romeo Milano Platinum that I have done a great deal of work on. Sadly while freshening up the trim on rocker panels I found a good deal of rust. This rust extends up the rear arch about a foot, forward on the rocker about a foot, and into the door jam and wheel well. After I was done poking around I determined the entire corner is gone. Right up to the jacking point. This is the same reason I got rid of my last Milano and why I was so happy when I bought this fairly rust free one 3 1/2 years ago.
Since I bought it way back when, I have rebuilt the engine with S pistons, larger valves, decked & ported heads, Centerline valve springs, Big Nasty RJR Cams, Diamond Like Carbon Coated lifters, 164S Rockers, adjustable cam gears, lightened flywheel, balanced assembly, ported Jet-Hotted 3.0 manifolds (I have a set of Shankle headers ready to go on), MegaSquirt injection, 30lb Bosch injectors, gutted cat, port matched runners and spacers, and probably some other things I have forgotten.
I rebuilt the transmission, a 4.10 with no LSD I got after I traded the old unit for the MegaSquirt.I installed a new clutch disk, and lightened/zero balanced rear clutch assembly.
I installed a new interior with Verde Recaro Seats covered in fabric I chose, with matching door panels. I went through the dash and replaced faded gauges with better ones from parts cars, replaced the mirrors with Verde units, Installed new speakers and stereo.
Lowered the rear with the IAP springs, added spacers I made cause the springs lower it to much in my opinion, added Poly DeDion bushing, Watts Linkage and sway bar bracket bushings, Koni Yellows around the whole car, poly front castor bushings and sway bar frame brackets ( I have the upper control arm poly bushings, not installed yet).
The car has a set of Team Dynamics wheels, with brand newish Dunlop Direzza 205/55-15s on them.
Like most of us I have way too many spare parts. Or maybe not enough.

Thanks for sticking with me so far.
Right now I have the trans out so I could investigate some rattles and replace the rear brakes. I would like to pull the heads off and replace the valve stem seals and go with another set of cams and lifters, as these are eating each other, even with the coatings. The car is not perfect.
My options as I see them are as follows.

1. Put the car back together and sell it as is. Any idea on worth?

2. Part it out. I can value the parts I have better than the sum of them all.
And I think I could do better. But possibly not.

3. Pour in lots more money, which I could come up with over time (but by then something else would have broken) into this car to finally bring it up to where I wished it was.

4. Put it back together, using the bare minimum of money to have it driveable, and safe, and just drive it, and fix it, and drive it, and wait for money, and fix it, and drive it and rinse and repeat.

Basically, what would you do? I am not selling anything yet, just asking for advise from folks who have been here before.
I can't imagine how hard this must be for someone with a car with real worth.
Thank you,
Tom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,996 Posts
4. Put it back together, using the bare minimum of money to have it driveable, and safe, and just drive it, and fix it, and drive it, and wait for money, and fix it, and drive it and rinse and repeat.
I would definitely go this route if it were my car. Milano's are depreciating. I am selling a Verde tomorrow for $1500 - $1000 up front and $500 later. It is worth more to me in parts as I want a 3L motor and LSD for my GTV6 but I don't have the heart to part it out. Transaxle cars are so much fun to drive, so drive it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i also have a little rust on mine but if your car is decent and runs decent you should sell her as is. if your in the states the value is far less on these cars, in canada a mint verde will sell for 7 to 10 grand where a strong driver should sell for 3 to 4 grand. a car that needs brakes exhuast timing bearing etc, just sell for 1500. The one thing i can say is that you really have to love an Alfa to enjoy it. mine is up for sale but i had to repair some rust (luckily my buddy welds) and if you can gut your interior (so it doesnt start on fire) you can easily weld in new corners in a weekend. I have also seen arches for sale if its that bad.
I wish you luck with whatever your choice but i would say your worrying a little much if it drives well and remember that people get very paranoid on the internet.

keep your chin up and sell it to someone who isnt going to pick thru it with a fine piece comb. these cars ARENT as bad as people say they are IMHO.Heck mines parked and up for sale and will stay there till i die if no one offers...at least you can still look down your driveway at your own piece of automotive history....

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Find a better body and move all your goodies over to it. Too bad you traded away the LSD. That's the best part of the Plat.

·
Registered
615 Posts
on one had it is paid for and when its gone, your gonna miss it. just set it aside and let it rest for a year or 2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the replies.
I thought about finding another to transfer the good stuff to, but I doubt I'll ever find one that is rust free. Especially if I hold out for blue.
I can weld, and could handle the repair. I just don't know if its worth it to me. And I know only I can answer that.
To be honest there are other money pits I would like to try. Dualsports, sportsracers, nice vacations, maybe even just savings for once.
I know I will regret some part of whatever decision I make. I am still on the fence, but the grass is getting greener on the other (un-alfa) side all the time. I feel as if I am being held back by this car, and I am beginning to resent it. I know much of this is my doing which only magnifies the frustrations.
Again, thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I would probably sell it as is. Its probably worth at most $2k, but there were only what about 3500 milanos ever made? If everyone made the decision to part them out due to financial considerations, there would probably be a few nice verdes left and all the rest would be gone. I spent probably $8k on mine, and I had trouble even getting $900 for it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I spent probably $8k on mine, and I had trouble even getting $900 for it.

OMFG man Im so sorry but you got duped! did you have your entire engine rebuilt and or completly repainted.

·
Premium Member
14,996 Posts
I did a bit better. I had $6k in the one that I just sold for $1k + an old Olmo bike. I owned the Verde for 4 years.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I vote for driving it, I've done that with mine since 97, or switching to a solid body.
Solid ones come along out here in the southwest, I've parted a blue one.
Agree with the others, the Milanos have very little value so not worth selling as a whole car.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I spent probably $8k on mine, and I had trouble even getting $900 for it.

OMFG man Im so sorry but you got duped! did you have your entire engine rebuilt and or completly repainted.
i paid $1650 for it and daily drove it from 88k to 130k miles. Parts add up fast. For example, new windshield $775, new radiator $450, timing belt replacement (valve cover gaskets-$100, tensioner bearing-$80, water pump $75, timing belt- $25, plus some other stuff i forgot), motor mounts $70, shifter rebuild- $175, brake proportioning valve-$175, pads, rotors, stainless lines, caliper rebuild kits kits, brake fluid-$600, CV boots $100, tires-$400, etc (im leaving out a complete suspension rebuild, and a bunch more stuff i forgot). I didnt get ripped off on anything, it just cost a lot to put 40k miles on a Milano and keep it in reasonable mechanical condition. I believe someone else had one for a while that came with $50k+ in receipts. Keeping a milano on the road adds up fast, and what 95% of the worth of the car is whether its a verde, well no matter how fun they may be, driving a 2.5 milano is not a very financially sound decision. I did have fun driving mine, although i should have sold it before I did, the reason I finally got rid of it was also the reason I had to sell it so cheap (failed input shaft seal on the transmission) and i didnt have time to fix it and I wanted it to be someone elses problem before it filled the clutch with oil.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yea ok i guess but i guess i dont understand the difference in climate, you guys all seem to have very DRY cars IE boots cv etc. We have very wet cars which means we get the cancer . unless you guys track them a verde should drive very reliably for quite a while. mines been a DD for like 2 years now and all ive had to do was consumables (which now thinking about it was like 1700 of work) so i guess yes if you have a pooched milano things add up.

how come no one ever posts the good stories about thier milano expereinces!
for as many out there that are garage queens there are just as many strong drivers out there!

ANY car that is old needs major resto will cost youmoney . My 69 gmc for example i bought for 950 and 4 years later and a 5g bill i made an 8000 dollor sale.

i guess the real value is in the salespersons skill....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts