Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1750 GTV
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a gauge of opinion here. Some of you may know I have had a '69 1750 GTV project going for the last 3 years and I am about to put the whole thing together as finally, we are at the stage of being able to paint it's perfect bodyshell (at the end of this month). Everything will be either brand new or rebuilt and perfect, think Alfaholics GTA without a twinspark.....I wanted to keep the original nord 1750 and have the car look the part of a 60's "gentlemen's racer' inside and out. But because it has been such a long haul to get the project to this stage I am pondering selling the whole project and let someone else finish it to their specification.

I think we all understand that restoring an Alfa is never going to give you a return like restoring a 250 Lusso but it costs about the same in parts and labor. Arguably the cost of this project "a complete box of bits" would be about the same as the sale price of a very well sorted completed car. Are we ever going to see $100k+ GTV's any time soon, only GTA's and even the Alfaholic GTA's cost $250k+ to build but are never sold....so I am not holding out!

The big question is....... complete the project or sell the ready to complete project?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Doubt you can make the math work if economics is the swing factor. Only keep it if it makes you happy and love it. I’d it doesn’t, or you don’t, cut it loose and move on.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
But Steve. If you sell it then what will you do. Age and health sometimes becomes a factor on these types of decisions. I say finish if you can. Then sell it and people will ask you why you did that. Of course if you sell now you will get the same questions, albeit likely from different people.

Good luck either way
Ken

Reactions: TimFlaco

·
Push hard and live
10,920 Posts
Steve,

A 69 GTV occupies a brief sweet spot in the Alfa pantheon. You know that. Not the best Alfa built, but much emotional support for it.

My opinion is it would be wiser to finish it, but as it was originally instead of modified. I'm not at all against modifying Alfas, so long as it is easily reversible, and nothing horrifying. But - a modified 69 1750 -will certainly attract less money interest than an on-the-button original.

So, if your plan is to sell it anyway, I'd finishish per original rather than modified. The cost to take it original will be rewarded by the offer prices. A modified will likely not.

If you don't have the pieces, time, or money to do it original, sell it as-is for whatever the market will bear. BaT is probably the best path. You'll have no further time nor money into it, and a starry eyed hopeful will imagine having a perfect 69.

·
Administrator
14,306 Posts
But because it has been such a long haul to get the project to this stage ...
I'm 52, and have been restoring my '71 1750 GTV since I was 19 ... I'm still going. It is worth close to nothing except to me, and sure it will start to be worth more after I paint it, but still worth considerably more to me.

Pete
ps: I have restored, raced, built other cars, found a lovely person to marry, had children, etc. along the way.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Steve,

A 69 GTV occupies a brief sweet spot in the Alfa pantheon. You know that. Not the best Alfa built, but much emotional support for it.

My opinion is it would be wiser to finish it, but as it was originally instead of modified. I'm not at all against modifying Alfas, so long as it is easily reversible, and nothing horrifying. But - a modified 69 1750 -will certainly attract less money interest than an on-the-button original.

So, if your plan is to sell it anyway, I'd finishish per original rather than modified. The cost to take it original will be rewarded by the offer prices. A modified will likely not.

If you don't have the pieces, time, or money to do it original, sell it as-is for whatever the market will bear. BaT is probably the best path. You'll have no further time nor money into it, and a starry eyed hopeful will imagine having a perfect 69.
I agree - back round - my father restored and rebuilt Steinway and sons pianos. With that being said he was a perfectionist in everything he did. Lucky for me he was a true motorhead too. He taught me that to get the most value out of anything, finish it to perfection and keep it completely stock. There were exceptions when it came to safety.

Steve - I am local Millbrae love to see your ride. PM if you want and we can chew the fat on next steps.

Ken Smith

Ken Smith

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I like working on and caring for old Alfas as much as driving them, maybe more. I sold a 55 Giulietta Sprint project a few years ago, when the project was still in an early stage. I have had many misgivings and regrets about that decision. If you really love your project, then hang in there, economics and common sense be damned.

More recently, I bought a Lancia Appia project, a cheap one, which looked much better in a car port at the seller's house than in my friend's workshop after we towed it there. I realized quickly that I had made a mistake and that there was no way to turn the sad hulk into a decent machine again. I bought and sold that car within three months with no regrets. I regard the $1,200 loss as the cost of continuing education. If you regret starting your project in the first place and wish that you had done something else with the time and money that you have into it, get out as soon as you can. The expenditure of non-recoverable time and money will only grow.

I watched a friend restore and sell a 74 GTV, getting one of the all-time best prices for the year and model on BaT. My friend is a pro in a reputable restoration shop, where dollars and cents matter, but he loved that 74 GTV so much that he restored it without regard to cost or effort. He was fastidious about originality to a degree that I would save for vintage Hispano Suizas. Different strokes for different folks. If you keep your project, go with original trim and bodywork as Don advises.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sounds like you've lost interest in actually keeping/driving the car and are primarily concerned about getting as much money as you can back from what you have in it already. That's understandable with long restorations that keep creeping up in price. A car in parts needing completion is usually going to be a tougher sell than something ready to go, but selling a project lets the buyer make a call on paint color, final spec, etc.

I would try to figure out how much you'll need to let it go as a project, then start talking to some of the expert brokers to see how realistic your price sounds. Talk to BaT and see if they'll take your reserve price. If things sound optimistic, try selling the project. You could even start on the forum here, I suppose. Market it as a winter project that can be ready for next summer.

How much is it going to cost to finish the car? How fixed or variable do you think that amount is (we all know how budgets can balloon)? How much do you realistically think you'll get for it as a finished car?

And then there are all the unknowns... what will the state of the car market even be this time next year? Will we be in the throes of a global depression? Obviously the economy has not suffered the worst of the pandemic hit yet, so prices remain strong -- for now, anyway. All things to consider.

I have a project Lancia Scorpion that I bought a few years back (different level to you in terms of value, I know) and finally farmed the mechanical restoration out last year. The budget doubled, then tripled and while I now have a running, driving car with a fresh performance-rebuilt engine, new brakes, suspension, cooling system, etc, the car still needs paint and seat upholstery to be finished. Meanwhile, the total I have in the car even at this stage would buy me two great, already finished Scorpions. Restoration is a losing game for most of us. We usually know that going into it, but remain hopelessly optimistic.

I wouldn't go through a project like this again, but it's been an informative experience and I plan to keep and drive the car. That's the only way the time and money spent makes any sense to me. Why go through all the hell of restoring a car and not reap any of the final rewards? Probably if you end up finishing your car, you'll feel the same way and at least get your fill of enjoyment from the finished project before you move it on.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I want a gauge of opinion here. Some of you may know I have had a '69 1750 GTV project going for the last 3 years and I am about to put the whole thing together as finally, we are at the stage of being able to paint it's perfect bodyshell (at the end of this month). Everything will be either brand new or rebuilt and perfect, think Alfaholics GTA without a twinspark.....I wanted to keep the original nord 1750 and have the car look the part of a 60's "gentlemen's racer' inside and out. But because it has been such a long haul to get the project to this stage I am pondering selling the whole project and let someone else finish it to their specification.

I think we all understand that restoring an Alfa is never going to give you a return like restoring a 250 Lusso but it costs about the same in parts and labor. Arguably the cost of this project "a complete box of bits" would be about the same as the sale price of a very well sorted completed car. Are we ever going to see $100k+ GTV's any time soon, only GTA's and even the Alfaholic GTA's cost $250k+ to build but are never sold....so I am not holding out!

The big question is....... complete the project or sell the ready to complete project?
Steve you should lead us to your build thread if you have one. I think you do. I know there are some deviations from stock 1969 GTV and that realization may affect some opinions. I still say finish it if at all possible.

Ken

·
Registered
306 Posts
Alfas are a HOBBY. If you enjoy repairing things (I do, but rarely make much if ANY money on them) it makes you happy to do it and that's important these days!. I have 2000 Spider that I bought probably 15 years ago in generally good condition (a great 15 footer) and I've never looked the undercarriage. It's got Dells and headers and a transmission that's no worse (or better!) than when I bought it as the 1-2, and 2-3 synchros are probably just metal shavings that came out when I drained the fluid. I expected that when Alfa re-entered the USA market that Spiders would gain in value.....NOT! I treat it like a sailboat-it goes out on warm, sunny days. If I though of it as any type of investment I've failed but enjoyed it.

Reactions: alfaromeoblack

·
Registered
8,674 Posts
unless you have a sugar daddy lined up to buy the car as you expect to finish it, I would recommend you cut your losses and sell it as it is .. Any money spent personalizing it will be good after bad. There is not enough space nor strength in my typing fingers to cover why I believe this.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Alfas are a HOBBY. If you enjoy repairing things (I do, but rarely make much if ANY money on them) it makes you happy to do it and that's important these days!. I have 2000 Spider that I bought probably 15 years ago in generally good condition (a great 15 footer) and I've never looked the undercarriage. It's got Dells and headers and a transmission that's no worse (or better!) than when I bought it as the 1-2, and 2-3 synchros are probably just metal shavings that came out when I drained the fluid. I expected that when Alfa re-entered the USA market that Spiders would gain in value.....NOT! I treat it like a sailboat-it goes out on warm, sunny days. If I though of it as any type of investment I've failed but enjoyed it.
As is often said " sail boats or any boat are holes in the water into which you pour money" sports cars are something similar in many ways. But both are enjoyable to use and work on if you like the work.

Ken

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Maybe I came late, but on my opinion :

1°) you have the money, complete the restoration

2°) you need money, sell it as is

Good luck in both way

Chris

·
Registered
1750 GTV
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank you one and all for your encouragement. I guess the fact is that the car has been out of sight for the best part of 2 years and so my dream had started to wane! I have finally got my restorer to make the progress needed to get the body painted BY THE END OF THIS MONTH! The best encouragement I have had has been by the guys who are working on my car. They work on so many exotics and wonderful cars but they REALLY enjoy working on my car...... and their enthusiasm for the Bertone design and the fact that the bodywork is so near completion is getting me excited once more. I think I will have the body back in my garage in a few weeks and then I will progress with the rebuild on my timeline..........its been emotional!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Steve,
I posted a photo of your car in the (Post a pic of your alfa # 5544 pn 9/4/2020). It receive 2 thumbs up. I had no ideal this was your car. I was getting gas and a car wash in my Red F150 truck on the corner of Broadway Ave. in Burligame CA and I always going down the alley to get back on to Rollins Road and that was when I saw this really cool GTV sticking out of the garage door. I stopped and talked to the body man about the car. I will say the body shop had some cool cars in it too. Yes I cannot wait to see another cool Alfa up at Alice's at the four corners!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

Yea - That was a coup of pictures I took when I was at the body shop. I real like the custom fuel filler in the trunk lid.

·
Registered
1750 GTV
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
View attachment 1649477

Yea - That was a coup of pictures I took when I was at the body shop. I real like the custom fuel filler in the trunk lid.
The engine and all the running gear components are there now...... the guys are full-on trying to get the body painted by the end of the month...... 2 years!!!! Going for this color option! What do you think?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts