Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you all for your advices. Next weekend a friend of mine will go to clean the car to have a better review. Meanwhile I talked to the owner he told me that the car is a 2 litre at official documents and he had two engines one 2.0 litre and one 3.0 litre v6 I can choose which one I want.
Alla the the things are carefully stored inside bags.
My heart is saying go for it!!!
I am not in a rush to restore it in a month.
And I want to spend my free time there with my son.
I have done restorations at the past expect to painting.
The car will be exchanged with my Honda cx 500 motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
If the metal is mostly rust free, the answer is save it for sure. I wouldn't think twice, but the metal work is rusty, you may want to part it out.
Best of luck

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Sounds like a winner for sure.

·
Registered
715 Posts
For $1000 euros, get it. I'm assuming you're in Europe. You'll be surprised with all the stuff the owner will hand to you. To me it looks like a GTV6 body, 5 lug wheels, with a 2L exhaust! My two cents is make it into a "rally style" car not a street cruiser. Cant fit anyone in the rear seats anyway.

To get the car up and running quickly, get the 2L and put on weber carbs. Then you don't need to track down wiring, EFI, stuff for the V6. Get some lexan/plastic side windows, some bolt in seats and seat belts, new low flow fuel pump, filters, webers, new dizzy and coil, spark plugs and wires, battery, clean gas tank and radiator and radiator hoses, check brakes and transaxle/clutch (change all fluids) , plus three donuts, check shocks, buff out the paint, get new tires, and you're doing moving restoration!! What can be simpler? I probably forgot some stuff but its a start.

$1k euros to start, $5k euros for other stuff. Have fun driving it around. Its only money. The experience is priceless.

www.okp.de germany has all the other new parts available and at good prices too.

Good luck, send some photos after the cleanup and all the boxes get delivered.

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Lol, now you have just raised the cost of putting it together way up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
a quick update a friend of mine went today the car to have better view he ensure me that the car has no rust points (at least heavily)but i want your eyes at the new photos.
The sparing wheel area is missing (they wanted to install racing fuel tank ) and need to be replaced
One point that is under investigation is why the inside of the car is painted blue?and the exterior color black/grey (or something like that but not blue for sure)
as far i know the gtv (not alfetta gtv) was never blue color available you can check the vin number also
so i begin to upload

Attachments

·
Registered
906 Posts
From the lack of rust showing on this car... my vote would be that it be saved from the crusher in any case. The next question is whether the person to do that is you, or someone else?? If a portion of that consideration involves it becoming a project with your son, that makes the decision easier. If you dive into it and find it becomes a larger project than you were expecting, you can always sell it to someone who will take it to completion. Probably recovering all of whatever $$ you have invested at that point.

You and your son will have a good team-bonding project (at least to the point where it might start becoming less fun, or too expensive). Then you can turn it over to the next owner to complete. Or take it to completion yourself, if it makes sense as you get in deeper. That question would answer itself from what you discover. Either way... this rust-free example doesn't have to be sacrificed to the crusher. Win-Win !

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
VIN 116.36 is definitely a 2L GTV2L. This is the 2L version with mostly the GTV6 2,5L plastic body ornaments. That means that if a 3L engine will demand modified engine support plates. The batteri is in the engine compartment instead of in the trunk(GTV6). Also fuel tank is highly different in the trunk. More importantly the drivetrain and gearbox are not as robust as that of the 2,5L, so if the 3L will be installed the whole drivetrain/gearbox should be upgraded(changed) too. A choice would be to let the car remain a 2L to make the project simpler. However 3L is possible, but more work. Then why not a 3L 24V engine? Still more work.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Man it looks like that poor Alfa has been sitting since the dawn of time! My first concern would be getting bitten by spiders... while I was cleaning it out!

But seriously, I also agree it is worth saving, and a good condition, slightly tweaked 2 liter motor is the easiest and least expensive way to go from here. Thanks for the effort you put into those photos! Very informative.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts