Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- I have had this '72 GTV for a little over a year and I am considering whether or not to rip it apart for a restoration. I received the car for free from my father (He bought it as a parts car 10 years ago) and I have slowly been getting it fixed up as a driver. As you can see from the photos, it has some significant rust issues. As it is, it seems that it needs some attention to be a safe driver. The paint is not original, and it has had some poorly-done rust repairs before. The good news is that the rust is only bad in the front rockers and front floor pans. The car runs well but burns a lot of oil and leaks oil everywhere, has bad 2nd gear syncros. The interior is fair, but not excellent. Here is the issue: Is this car worth tearing into for a full restoration? I am not after a show car, but a high performance street, occasional auto-cross car. Is it possible to address these rust issues without a complete tear-down? I have a little bit of experience with body work, but not welding body panels. What would you do?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Given that the car was free, if you put $10K into the body and another $10K into the interior and mechanicals, you probably have a $20K car. I say restore.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
A decent driver (a #3 car) would cost around $15k. A pristine GTV easily achieves $25k, and a concours competitive car is even more expensive... A restoration is about the experience, and the satisfaction of achieving a car that will likely be a real pride an joy, with a set-up that will be just like you like it. This is never a money making venture. For example, if you restore to a driver level and sell the car right after completing the project, the car will likely sell for less than what it cost to restore. Nonetheless, if you restored it now, kept it up while enjoying it for several years to come (they are great cars!), I think you would be very happy that you did, and would likely not feel that you over spent when you went to sell it years later for what will be a higher price given that these cars are continuing to appreciate, and do have a following.

Best regards,

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
There is no "yes or no" answer here. Other responders have provided good thoughts.

I will add that your restoration budget could well exceed "$10K into the body and another $10K into the interior and mechanicals" as Zinhead had estimated. But, it all depends on how close to perfection the project ends up, as well as how bad the rust REALLY is.

I know - today you are saying: "Just a streetable car will be fine - I don't need to do anything more". But believe me, once you get in there, you will find yourself doing things, and spending money, just because it is simpler to do it while you have things apart.

From the photos, the rust looks non-trivial. But, you won't really know the extent of it until you get the paint off. Since a 105 coupe is a unibody, you really do want to fix that rust professionally - and that will cost some bucks. You can save by applying a less-than-concours paint job, and by doing most of the mechanical work yourself. But, $20K is probably the bottom of the range for your restoration budget, given that the engine needs attention, some professional body repair is needed, and you want to add some performance mods.

·
Registered
936 Posts
once you get in there, you will find yourself doing things, and spending money, just because it is simpler to do it while you have things apart.
Hey !! i resemble that remark . . . :eek:

my "respray" evolved into a ground up restoration :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Go out and start getting bids, add everything up and then add 5K to it.

If you decide to do it stand firm on not adding anything not necessary!

IMO keep every everything stock, it's a very slippery slope when you go down the performance road. :eek:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the great advice! I think it is adding up to this: Go for broke and do it up right, and after considerable time and money invested, it will be a sweet car. Or do some triage repairs and keep on driving it. I think either way I will be spending plenty of alone time in my garage with my Alfa. luckily, that is just as fun as driving it!

·
Registered
130 Posts
IMHO it looks like it might make a good driver with a quick patch up but there's far to much rust to fix for a real restoration. You'll kill yourself getting all those quarters and rockers and floors just right only to get a point where you can start the restoration. Sure it can be done as others on this list have demonstrated time and again, but you will save a lot of money, time and effort if you start with a car that isn't rusty. Steve

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve- I think you are right. The car has so many little issues, that I think I would be better off just selling it and buying another one. I think I am going to buy some front fender repair panels from Wolf Steel and fix it the best I can short of tearing it completely down.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I would look at it think way: If you do it yourself, you'll know if it was done right or not. You can spend a lot of money on a really nice looking car only to find 6 months later that beauty is only about .02" deep on these cars. I've been down that road more times than I care to remember...

My question is are you willing (dare I say eager) to do the work yourself? If yes then have at it. Learn to weld. So it might not be perfect the first time (and BTW, it won't be your last Alfa) but it will still be fun to drive and you'll be better at it the next time. I think you've got a great foundation to make a nice driver - go for it!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will do as much of the work myself as I can. I have a friend who is a competent welder, I don't have the confidence to put a welding torch to anything of any value. Half of the fun is getting into a project that is way over my head...

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't know how old you are but at least you'll be occupied and staying out of trouble. Its is always a lot of pleasure building it yourself......

72' GTV 2000
74' GTV 2000
79' Z28
84' Z28
88' 4x4 Sub
90' B2600i
94' Accord EX

1 - 14 of 14 Posts