Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering rack on the L is leaking and I wondering what you fine folks feel about replacing a dampened rack with a rebuilt non dampened one. Both my cars are dampened so I have no direct comparison on steering feel. Pros and cons please??!!

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
I like non-dampened ones as that is what both my B models have our L is dampened and I don't much care for it nor did I like Myron's dampened LS but it is all in what you are used to I guess.

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
My steering rack on the L is leaking and I wondering what you fine folks feel about replacing a dampened rack with a rebuilt non dampened one. Both my cars are dampened so I have no direct comparison on steering feel. Pros and cons please??!!
This is a tough question to answer. I myself have a damper model. Do I like it? I guess? I have had it forever so I guess I am use to it by now. The non-damper models have a bit heaver feel which IMO is much better. But my damper model is not that much different.

Nice thing is the damper throws the wheel back to center pretty quick. Not sure if it helps with torque steer at all? I have wide tires so I opted for this one.
With the wider tires I think I get just about the same feel as a non-damper with 195-205 size tires.

This is one I have to say you need to feel out yourself. I am not sure we can really tell you. It is all about what feels better to you!

I would say that both racks are very very similar except one has a damper (just a large spring).

Best idea is that the non-damper is a it slower, which can be good. Damper model may feel a bit lighter with stock wheels and tires.

Heavy heavy is My choice, especially at higher speeds!

Jason

·
Premium Member
15,544 Posts
I agree with Jason, I much prefer the "damped" version, as the steering isn't quite so touchy, allows you to better modulate the steering by requiring a little higher force to keep it where you want it offcenter, esp at high speed. My 91 S has it, and is much nicer to steer than my LS which strangely enough has the "damping" spring setup but is far too light for comfort.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
There's good and bad with (and without) dampener. Of course, a rack with a centering spring likes to go back to the center more. It is good for highway but you do need to pull it more when you are making a long sweeping turn like getting on and off highway exit. The steering feel is not as even since it is heavier once the steering wheel goes off center. Without the dampener, the steering feel is a little more even. You do have to sort of "help" the steering wheel to turn back after a turn but you'll get use to it pretty fast.

Most of the 164 steering racks that I have come across are on the slightly heavier side except our 164L verde came with a rack without dampener (it could be a replacement rack) and it was very light (too light IMO). I have swapped a S rack with a dampener on the car and it now feels heavier (more positive IMO).

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Early L models like B models came without dampered racks but later ones had damper like S models.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I love the dampened rack in my S. Coming around a slow tight corner, I just flick the wheel and spins to center. I miss it every time I drive my other car and have to pull the wheel back to straight. just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll go with a dampened rack since it's what I'm used to. It is on my L so it's not as crucial but I do like it the way it is.

Thanks!
Glenn

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
The "B" I'm driving daily has a dampener, but the "S" I bought with out an engine has an undampened one. I thought all S models had a dampened rack?

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
The "B" I'm driving daily has a dampener, but the "S" I bought with out an engine has an undampened one. I thought all S models had a dampened rack?
They do except for the one you bought :) Must have been replaced years back when the non-damper rack was less expensive. **** cheapskates!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
FWIW, I have removed the centering spring from our LS. I have been trying different things on this car. There are just too much "centering" - the steering gets quite a bit heavier once it is off center. So I have removed the spring (dampener) to see how it feels. It now requires less force when making turn but needs more help to return the steering especially at tight turns. The car still go rock solid straight on highway so no problem there without the dampener.

I just wonder whether later 164's have more castor angle than the earlier 164's. Ok, for those who have "computer printout" from alignment shop, perhaps you can let us know what caster (might as well toe and camber) you got.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Jason...Yea, I thought the same thing. I bought a dampened rack to put in it. It's behind the big red box, just south of the speaker on the windshield :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts