Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,943 Posts
Re that 166 living in New Zealand we face the same problems regarding spares however they were sold new here albeit in small numbers compared to the 156. I don`t know your country`s tax system regarding importation of spares but I tend to buy all my spares via UK (remember we are much further away from Europe than you are).
Mechanically they share most parts with the 156/147/916 Coupe/Spider so most things you would need are reasonably readily available but they do have their own suspension. Trim and body parts are the things that are difficult to get compared to the other Alfas of that era.
As for reliability they are the same as other Alfas of that era which is generally pretty good although I have an innate suspicion of all electronics cars (which this is) and their long term reliability without replacing sensors, wiring, ECU`s etc. Earth points are another thing that require cleaning from time to time and in your climate age of the car and electronics would not be a great mix.
Good car, in fact underrated, but I think in your circumstances I`d leave it alone unless super cheap and you really really wanted it. They live in the shadow of the mighty 156 worldwide and were another sales failure for Alfa.

·
Push hard and live
11,231 Posts
In fact, I own a 1999 916 GTV. How it slipped into the US is unknown to me, but it's been registered in three states, so apparently not a problem.

I'll second the above comments. The parts for this era Alfa are flat-out cheap. They were essentially Fiats, after all. My guess is you could get it serviced at a Fiat dealer, if any are around. I've bought entire engines, wheels, and body panels from the UK, and even after four-day FedEx air shipment, it was a small fraction of what the same parts would cost for any other car, foreign and domestic.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
10k usd for a 166 is super expensive from an Australian perspective. Now everyone has different opinions so I don't want to offend anyone however being a qualified alfa mechanic who's has done a fair amount of work on 166 I am in a position to comment. They are quite well built and certainly well appointed inside. Parts can be impossible to find and believe me when I tell you, you will be looking, because it will have on going issues. One main fault is the heater core leaks causing the transmission ecu to fail. Good luck finding an ecu. Heater hoses, radiators, window regulators, suspension bush's, all high maintenance. They are also a big heavy thirsty and slow car. Not sporty in any way.
The best thing is they have a huge opening to service the cambelt which you need to have done every three years at considerable cost.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts