Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D :cool: :p ;) As per Papajam's request, I am starting a new thread to belittle and bemoan that overpriced, underpowered (see any 3 series, with the exception of M), plastic clad, helicoptor badged ultimate farting machine, the one, the only BMW. Please correspond if you are a true Alfisti!! The general.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
ANY 3 SERIES, INCLUDING THE M3! (Except 2002 Turbo and original M3 :D)

I better upload some "farting" noise of the M3 parked next to my GTV tomorrow, it really sounds like farting. :D

generaljimt said:
:D :cool: :p ;) As per Papajam's request, I am starting a new thread to belittle and bemoan that overpriced, underpowered (see any 3 series, with the exception of M), plastic clad, helicoptor badged ultimate farting machine, the one, the only BMW. Please correspond if you are a true Alfisti!! The general.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Here's another one for bmw...

Sadly, my friend picked up a 325ci on lease yesterday. it is a dealer demo with 4K miles. Anyways, to the part where he gets raped....he threw down $3500 and has a payment of $485 a month. And guess what...he gets to return it in 3 years! Ha Ha hH. Just shows that BMW is a disposable car. If it were an Alfa I am sure he woulda bought it with intentions of keeping it a long time.

Only BMW I like is the 2002 (round tail light version).

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have a 1988 BMW 325 ix which i bought last year because it had the rare AWD. But soon after I bought it i rebuilt everything and the crap still had problems (idiling and air flow) to be exact. After much $$$ in new parts and to mechanics the car is doing fine but i want to get rid of i before anymore freaking problems pop up. to me BMW stands for
B ig
M oney
W asted

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please understand, I'm not looking to be confrontational. My point is that Alfa has this undeserved reputation of being unreliable because proper service was hard to find. And that BMW has created this illusion of status which is a smokescreen at best. Any highly tuned, performance oriented car is going to have its issues. The general.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not going to lie to you...

Until an unfortunate accident with a rather intoxicated Tempo driver, I owned a 1991 318is (old E30 "box style without the plastic") with the much maligned four cylinder engine.

and I loved it.

It handled very well, ran very well and although top speed was not what one would call performance level...it was a very quick and nimble creature.

It lacked all the plastic crap you see these days. I can't vouch for other BMW's...but the 318is was one of my favourite cars that I've owned over the years.

cheers, and feel free to start hurling those heretic insults.

Oh, the only good thing about the accident? It bought me my 82 Spider.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
generaljimt said:
Please understand, I'm not looking to be confrontational. My point is that Alfa has this undeserved reputation of being unreliable because proper service was hard to find. And that BMW has created this illusion of status which is a smokescreen at best. Any highly tuned, performance oriented car is going to have its issues. The general.
Agreed!! But there's also the owner/driver's perceived reliability or design flaws of a vehicle that are very often the result of they're own doing. Example. Had a customer with a Datsun F-10 who, no matter what he did, could not get more than 1000mi out of a clutch. After the 4th or 5th clutch replacement, this guy was absolutely CONVINCED that every Datsun on the planet is an unreliable poorly designed piece of junk. He finally sold the F-10 and bought an original Beetle - with the same results. Pieces of junk? Hardly. But not to him.
Have a friend, who is currently Alfa-less, looking for what may be his 7th Alfa (his 1st 164) but is reluctant because they all start to burn oil a few months after he buys them. Actually, ALL his cars burn oil. But he's hoping that Alfa improved engine design and quality control to prevent the oil burning problem. In reality, he redlines stone cold engines and wears 'em out. Alfas reputation suffers 'cause he is clueless on why an engine needs to be warmed up.
The generals absolutely right about Alfas reputation. IMO, Spica did it. NOBODY (then) could even adjust 'em right. That's why many Spica pumps landed in the bin for the much more "reliable" Webers. In truth, the Spica system was (is) probably the most bulletproof thing on the car save for the spare tire wingnut or something.
Any manufacturer can build both jewels and lemons. Example; our company bought a new forklift almost a year ago. Everyone drives it and everyone beats the livin' s**t out of it. It just doesn't break. It's reliability was so good, we bought an identical lift two weeks ago. It's been down for two days and had SEVEN warranty repairs within the first 100 hours.

Go figure.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Had a 84 320i. Handled well on dry roads. Very comfortable. HORRIBLE on snow and ice. The rear end would easily depart control if it was all slick. Really, really scary.

During the warranty I had a cracked cylinder head, leaking gas tank, and bad catalytic converter. Had a stupid maintenance indicator light on the dashboard that told you when to change oil among other things. Only problem is that only the dealer had the plug in machine to reset the indicator. I guess BMW wanted you to take you BMW to the dealer for a $200 oil change. Me? I took the dash off and cut the wires to the lights.

Would I own another? No.

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
2002Tii

My father bought a 2002Tii for classic racing, and it did many, many, many laps over many, many seasons with hardly a drama.

Yes we had to do a head gasket and ran the bearings (due to lack of oil cooler) ... but once fixed it never gave any further trouble.

Used to drive this car to the track, race the crap out of it, and then drive it home ... give it the ocassional brake bleed and oil change and off we would go and do some more racing.

Only design fault on the car was rear drum brakes ... which would cause brake fade on some tracks. Front calipers for 4 piston type and we had to install a cooling duct hose to keep a good pedal.

Thus my overall impression of this car is very high, but they do lack that extra little excitment of the Alfas :)

Anyway, I would personally leave off be-littling BMW's as that is not the manly way of playing the game. Germans put cars together far better than the Italians ... and if the after sales service is what got BMW their current reputation, then I cannot think of anything they have done wrong!

Yep Alfa Romeos can be reliable, but they do not age anywhere near as well as this BMW 2002tii did. This car was the same age as my 1750 GTV and it had never been restored, and the GTV was in the garage next door starting a bare chassis rust removal restoration ... and the engine with only 80 something thousand miles on her was stuffed. The BMW did not even need reboring!!

I love my Alfas, but that does not mean I have to bash all other makes :)

Pete

·
Registered
487 Posts
generaljimt said:
Dear Meatpile, not one problem? Nothing electronic, no head gasket problems, no fuel injector problems?
Nothing. Oh - both blinkers went out, which I thought sucked b/c I've only got 19k on it, but it was just the bulbs.

I had a 2000 328i coupe, it was completely trouble free as well.

The car is really, really fun, and really, really fast. My dad liked mine so much he bought one, a 2000, and he's put 40k and no problems.

I've heard that the M5s go through clutches badly. Mind you, mine is a 2001. If the head gasket blew, I'd friggin go bananas on BMW. That would be unacceptable.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
i so want a bmw 2002 (round tail light) and a datsun 510 (2 door)! i have drive those cars (race prepared) and they are so so so cool. those cars are so awesome. but first...the GTA!

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
No way man, the race car is never for sale. I don't think I could ever part with her especially after all the time I have been puting into her lately. So far its been about 3-4 hours every weekday and about 5 on the weekends for the past 2 months!

Have you seen the car before? It's gonna be nicer. The other day a customer walked in and thought it was one of those "historic" race cars being restored for the concours circuit.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I was referring to your gray 1970 Jr. Weren't you selling that in order to pick up another hot (unknown to us) Alfa?

Your racing Jr. is AWESOME! I have yet to oggle her in person.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My friend and I now are suspecting the head gasket on his 02 E46 M3 is leaking, the exhaust smells like coolant leaking into cylinder and it stinks really bad. It has exactly 19061 miles on it.

The same M3 had its engine and transmission replaced under warranty last year already. Another friend's E46 M3 had its transmission replaced two times.

His Cooper S is now leaking oil and the AC electronics is screwed up, the only way to turn on the AC is push the OFF button :confused:

My friend treats his cars pretty well, warming up before moving, 2500rpm the first few miles until the engine is fully warmed up, smooth double clutch shifting, cooling down before shutting the engine down. All regular mainenance, but still the M3 is giving him a lot of troubles.

His 01 530i (30k) is still running perfectly though. :)

meatpile said:
I've heard that the M5s go through clutches badly. Mind you, mine is a 2001. If the head gasket blew, I'd friggin go bananas on BMW. That would be unacceptable.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Interesting - I had a friend with an E46 2001 M3 needed an entire top end rebuild. He babies that car, too.

Goes back to that performance car thing. At least BMW is good with their warranties.

As cool as a 540i6 is, it's pretty basic technology. Here's hoping it holds up.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My friend went back to the dealer where he got his M3, and they refused to service it. They said the engine and transmission (engine smoking, dropping out of gears. Cannot shift) were perfectly fine.
After a long argue with 2 dealers and BMW, my friend's M3 finally got fixed at a dealer 100 miles away, with a waiting period of two weeks with NO rental car.

His WRX got its transmission replaced in two days, same dealer (BMW/Subaru)! That made us wonder.
-------
Maybe there are some glitches with the new M3 engine.

meatpile said:
Interesting - I had a friend with an E46 2001 M3 needed an entire top end rebuild. He babies that car, too.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to see some BMW horror stories so that we are all not brainwashed to believe that they are indestructable!!!
Watching Motorweek, I saw them do a segment on classics and they reviewed a
1600 Junior Zagato. Great to see a vintage Alfa on US television. Gives you hope. In fact, on the same program, Subaru is comparing themselves to Lance Armstrong (US cyclist who defeated cancer and has dominated the Tour de France) and at the end of the commercial, they cut to an image of Lance crossing the finish line. However, they quickly cut off that shot because behind Lance is a red Alfa Romeo 156 GTA which followed him to the finish line.
Incredible, two Alfa sightings within one half hour US television broadcast. That has to be a record!!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts